[WriteLog] SDR setup?

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Wed Sep 23 09:46:05 EDT 2020

> I bought a little SDR (AirSpyHF+) to play with. It works but I'm not about
> to actually use it as a real radio. Tuning with a mouse really sucks.
>
> I connected it to my K3 IF output and set the frequency to 8210. It seems
> to work fine there using the AirSpy software. Nice spectrum display and
> waterfall.
>
> Now, how to get WL to put it on the bandmap?
> I read the blog but some things pop out as major unknowns.
>
> 1)  ExtIO says to select the DLL that has the I & Q data. OK, but which one
> is that?  The software that came with this device has 30 or 40 DLLs. I have
> no idea which one. Hope someone is using this device and can just tell me
> so I don't have to try each one. I tried a couple but nothing appeared in
> the band map.
>
> 2)  There's something about using an audio channel. For what?  Data? Or an
> option to listen to the IF output? I left that blank. I can listen to the
> SDR with it's own software. The offset is noticeable but I haven't gotten
> that far yet.
>
> 3) If I change something in SDR setup, do I then need to re-start WL?
>
> Tks, 73, Alan  AD6E
The main thing to keep in mind is that you set up WriteLog (almost) the
same as HDSDR (http://hdsdr.de).
If you start on that HDSDR page, it will direct you to:
https://github.com/hayguen/ExtIO_AirSpyHFplus/releases
You should be able to find the correct DLL there (according to the HDSDR
documentation)

A quick review of the AirSpyHF+ website also tells me that it provides
its IQ signals on its USB port and not on a sound card. Either works
with WL, but you have know up front which way to go. In this case, it is
"IQ provided via ExtIO"--the very top selection in the WL SDR setup
wizard's first page.