[WriteLog] CW not keying correctly in Version 12.56c

Keith Beebe W3KB keith at w3kb.net
Sun Jan 31 12:14:21 EST 2021

Upgraded to Version 12.56c and used it in the CQ WW 160 CW contest.

The version update history says:

  *   Add option to put PTT on RTS of rig COM port with TX focus.
  *   CW PTT is now either on or off (which is QSK), which deprecates the distinction between PTT types for CW.

I use a WinKey2.

However, I noticed several things during the contest using this version:

There was now a hesitation in sending CW using the Insert Key.  For example say W3JKL answered me.  It would go W3 JKL and not send the call as one. There is a slight pause between W3 and JKL.

Another thing I noticed is that only at certain speeds, example 29 WPM, if a partial call was entered say JKL and I hit F5 which is programmed with %C to send whatever is entered...it is sending JDL not JKL.  Another example: Enter just HGG (partial call) and it is sending it as HGEN.  Weird.

This has never happened before....it only started with the upgrade to 12.56c.  Looks like some sort of CW timing issue has developed.

Have a major contest upcoming with the ARRL DX CW and I want things to work correctly again.

Thanks,

Keith W3KB