[WriteLog] Enhancement request - Name window

Robert Hess w1rh at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 17:32:02 EST 2021

I’m with Ed.  There are plenty of ways to speed up the exchange.  If adding a personal touch buys me a few more Q’s why not.
Bob W1RH

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, March 13, 2021, 2:03 PM, Ed W0YK <ed at w0yk.com> wrote:

I won WPX RTTY as P49X one year using the friends feature.  Negligible impact on rate or final score.  I had it in my QSL message     TU ROBERT P49X CQYes, it lengthens that one message but if you do the math, it barely moves the rate meter due to the dead time outside of actual message transmission time.Plus, I wonder if it encourages more people to call in.73,Ed W0YK
-------- Original message --------From: Robert W5AJ <woodr90 at gmail.com> Date: 3/13/21  13:31  (GMT-08:00) To: 'Randy Thompson' <k5zd at outlook.com>, WriteLog at contesting.com Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Enhancement request - Name window Ah, NOnames slow the exchange...   Don't like it on RTTY tests but it takes too long to explain why on keyboardduring a contestIf a person has spent time and dollars to contest, use Aruba as Example andthe WW contest, 5NN N is the fastest exchange.5NN K for ARRL,   The P4 operator wants 5NN 4 or 5NN TX quick, and op isready to hit the log, TU CQ button.If you're "Their friend" short and snappy is your friendFor CW program a message like for the exchange"<<<" 5NN N "<<<"Randy, there are 5000 folks that know your name and 4900 you've never metthat can call you by name.....adding to exchange, doesn't work in a contest(SKN yes, tell your buddy hello in FD, sure)and some contests require name exchange, part of the scheme.to play it again:IF you're Their Friend, short and snappy is your friend73 W5AJRobertMidland, Texashttp://pages.suddenlink.net/w5aj/-----Original Message-----From: WriteLog [mailto:writelog-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of RandyThompsonSent: Saturday, March 13, 2021 1:31 PMTo: WriteLog at contesting.comSubject: [WriteLog] Enhancement request - Name windowI am posting this to the reflector to see if there are others who would beinterested or if I am an outlier on this.During a contest, I often have people call me by name.  It always feels goodto be recognized (we all like to hear our own name).  The problem is that Iam VERY BAD at remembering names.  I always feel guilty when someone callsme by name, I know I should know theirs, and yet I can't remember it.I know there is a "friends" file that can be used on RTTY to embed name in atransmission.  What I would like to see is a similar concept for all modes.I am suggesting there be a new window that displays the name of the stationin the log window.  The name would come from a separate file (much like SCPdata comes from an accessory file).  If the name file is simple, say withjust callsign and name (tab or comma delimited), it would be easy for peopleto create their own name files or download one.Interested in any comments or if there is another way to accomplish thisthat already exists.Randy K5ZD_______________________________________________WriteLog mailing listWriteLog at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/writelogWriteLog on the web:  http://www.writelog.com/_______________________________________________WriteLog mailing listWriteLog at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/writelogWriteLog on the web:  http://www.writelog.com/