[WriteLog] Using ICOM 7300 with WriteLog for CW without external interface

Curt Kolovson ckolovson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 21:31:50 EDT 2022

Never mind, guys. My mistake!! I had misunderstood the definition of "USB
Send" and "USB Keying (CW)" in the ICOM 7300 Set->Connectors->USB/Send
Keying menus. It turns out that "USB Send" means what line should be used
for PTT, and "USB Keying (CW)" means what line should be used for sending
data. So, all I had to do was set "USB Send" to RTS and "USB Keying (CW)"
to DTR. Then, in WriteLog on the Ports settings, I had to set the ports as
follows:

Rig Type / Port / CW / Baud Rate / Poll / Comm PTT
No Rig / COM3 / CW / Default / Poll / RTS
ICOM IC-7300 / COM4 / / 19200 / Poll / YES

and below, for CW keyer type, I selected PC Generates.

My confusion was the odd terminology that ICOM uses. "USB Send" means the
line used for PTT, while "USB Keying (CW)" means the line used for data.
Actually, I should have realized that sooner. DOH!!

73 OMs de Curt W6RQ

On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 5:46 PM Curt Kolovson <ckolovson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been trying to use my IC-7300 w/ WriteLog for sending CW without
using an external interface. I am connecting my PC directly to the 7300
using two cables: a USB cable to the "USB Port" and a USB CI-V adapter with
FTDI chipset to the "Remote Port", specifically the RT Systems RTS-01. In
theory, I should be able to use the Remote Port for rig control (CI-V) and
the USB Port for sending / receiving data. The problem is, when selecting
the "PC Generates" option as the CW Keyer type in WriteLog, that sends the
CW data over the DTR line instead of the TXD line that the 7300's internal
keyer expects. Is it possible to use WriteLog connected directly to an ICOM
7300 in the way I've described to send CW data with the rig in CW mode?