[WWYC] we are still alive... arent we?

Thomas - OZ1AA Thomas - OZ1AA" <oz1aa@qsl.net
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:01:13 +0100

Hi again...

I got this great mail from Goran 4N7RGH and as I think it should have been
sent here to the reflector, I will hereby forward it.
It gives the answers to all the questions that I made earlier today, so it
should be of general interest!

Thanks again for the tips Goran, and I will see you for sure in WPX RTTY :-)

Vy 73 de Thomas, OZ1AA

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas - OZ1AA <oz1aa@qsl.net>
To: WWYC-Reflector <wwyc@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [WWYC] we are still alive... arent we?

> I have been so lucky that I have winter holiday from the 12th - 20th Feb,
so
> this gives me a great opportunity to do some contesting. My plans include:
>
> WPX RTTY
> @ OZ7HVI. Maybe M/S, otherwise SOAB LP. Would be nice to set a new
> OZ-record.
>
> ARRL DX CW:
> @ OZ9KY SOAB HP. OZ9KY is a quite good station, so this is going to be
fun,
> for sure. If the 40 and 80 meter antennas will be ready, I should be able
> set a new OZ record here also.
>
> UBA CW:
> Probably SOAB LP @ OZ7HVI, but not sure yet.
>
> What plans do you have?

first of all just to say that you have nice plans for the following
contests...
our plans for here are :

call yu7al offcourse
wpx rtty most/lp
arrl cw   most/lp or sosb/lp ( and maybe, just maybe mo2t )
arrl ssb   same as cw
bartg rtty most/lp
wpx ssb sosb 10m ( probably )...etc. who knows what will be till the end of
the march...

> I am also looking for some tips especially for the ARRL DX CW test. When
> would you sleep?

from my poing of view, the time of sleeping depends of openings...i'm sure
you won't sleep at the best opening...but, lets see...at my place i can work
usa from about 1100z till 2200z on the high bands, then 0300 till 0700 on
low bands...so the rest periods are clear...

> On which band would you start?

I have usually started contests on 20m, where i can work some usa...but one
thing is sure. you will have a chance to work them again. if you have some
kind of good antennas for lower bands, start on them at first...at 1200z you
can still catch some VE or something...especially @ 80m...

> Which openings should I pay special attention to?

nothing special i think, but again one thing sure! if you have a beam for
40m or a good antenna for 80m, there are good openings via the long pass at
1430z till about 1600z. that is a good chance to work some mults you won't
be able to work later. ( maybe )...but there is another problem! at that
time there are good openings, and the best one is at 10m band...there you
can run a pile even with a dipole under a roof :0)...so the best solutions
for that are:
1. if you are multi op, to have a second station to look for multis,
offcourse in combination of cluster, becouse you can not find everything on
the cluster, what you can find on the band, and the other way!( i tell this
from my own expirience)

> How much time should I spend on the low bands (80/160)? etc etc...

the main thing in such a stuff is that you work on the band with the biggest
possibility to run a pile, and only to chase the multis on the low bands.
becouse if you cq on 80m and you get 20, 30, even maybe 50 stations in 1
hour, you can get over a 100 on 40m for sure! the interesting multis will
always be on the cluster...the best one is via the packet radio...if you
watch the oh2aq cluster there will be problems:
1. the infos are late for who knows what time
2. you cannot see everything there
3. you loose time on i-net.....
the best thing i've ever tryed was a dx telnet by some ik4 or
something...that stuff is like a packet, but it's i-net...you get the info
right away. as soon as somebody puts info on cluster you see it...

> Maybe I could get logs from some of you?

nothing special in my logs...never more than 600q's on single band...also in
mo2t category nothing special...

> This is just
> going to be my second time in ARRL DX. Last year I made 634 Q's and
>308,124
> points, but this year Í have better antennas, more power and (if you help
> me :-) more knowledge about the contest, so it should be possible to
achieve
> a much higher score this time!

good luck to you and all the contesters that will operate in arrl cw....

> OK, I hope that you will write a few words about your plans for the coming
> contests here at the reflector...

well, this was from my side.i think i helped you a bit, maybe not but never
mind.

> Vy 73 de Thomas, OZ1AA

73 and hope to see you all soon again, maybe in wpx rtty
Goran 4n7rgh

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/wwyc-faq.htm