[WWYC] WWYC Contest Rules - final draft

Dimitar Terziev Dimitar Terziev" <dimitart@mbox.infotel.bg
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 17:37:54 +0200

Hi guys,

follow my comments:

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Goldsberry <n5nu@inu.net>
To: <wwyc@contesting.com>
Date: 02 January 2000 year 23:11
Subject: [WWYC] WWYC Contest Rules - final draft

>Hi list,

Hi!

>  These are the offical rules.  First of all, not everyone will be totally
>happy...I'm sorry for this.  It is of my belief that this suits the most
>people and makes it most convenient for them.

Yes, no one can be happy, but let's make good rules.

>Date:  3rd weekend in April,  April 15-16, 2000
>This weekend is mainly clear.  I'm sorry if this is too busy, this is the
>nearest uncluttered weekend we could find.  If you care to join the
>Bangladesh 440 MHz moonbounce contest, have fun.

Well, I haven't contest calendar, but I'll care to take part of WWYC
Contest,
I'm hardly waiting ...

>Modes:  CW , SSB
>Bands: 40, 20, 15, 10
>Preferred frequencies:  CW:  7050-7060, 14040-14060, 21040-21060, 28100-120
>(this is so novices can work)
>SSB:  No 40m SSB, 14240-14270, 21400-21430, 28300-28330
>These frequencies basically keep out of everybody's way.  They do not take
>up the whole band.  40 meter SSB gives certain areas of the world unfair
>advantage.  We want to make this fair as possible.

80meters band can be also added for the contest... but I'll do not take
part of discussing about bands. I'm happy that 14MHz and 28MHz are included!

>Time:  1400z 15th - 1400z 16th.  Maximum 18 hours on air.
>
>Why?  This gives everyone a fair chance at propagation.  This is long.
>Yes.  Toughing it out during long contests is what real contesters are for.
> This separates us from "Joe Ham", and at the same time, gives the average
>"Joe Ham" time to come on and participate.  A maximum time lets contesters
>sleep.  We are World Wide YOUNG Contesters so it is only right that we
>sleep for our schoolwork and family.

Ouch! I hate contest which have time limit! I was join in one contest which
the
rules was to change band every 10 minutes. I was so bored!
I'm think that there's no needed to have time limit and everyone to be free
to play when he wants! Someone would like to play 18 hour, but someone may
be
would like during the all contest!  I'll be able to play more than 18 hours!

>Exchange:  599 + Age, YLs send 00 if preferred.
>
>Everybody agrees with this mostly.  With the 'YC' added this adds
>confusion.  Let's keep it simple the first time around.  YLs may send 00
>for age if they want.
>
>Multipliers:  Number of WWYC members worked per band.
>
>Since we did not have RST + AGE + YC in the exchange, this should take it's
>place.  As said before, this gives others an incentive to become a member.
>Always good to have incentives.

Ok, can you tell me what's the confusion when we added 'YC' ???
And how other hams in the contest will understand who is multiplier (member)
or not multiplier??
If someone don't know about our group and who is members of WWYC
and I'm sure that there's many such peoples who haven't list of members.
Just mind.. I'm not member of WWYC and I'm not read NCJ,
CQ or other magazines. Just before few days I see that there's WWYC contest.
And I decide to play. In example I made 100 qsos. Now is the moment to
calculate
the logs... how to understand how much is my miltipliers... just I haven't
information
about members?! What do you plan to do in that moment??
If we will not send some letters like 'YC' then many peoples will not take
part in
that contest , because they don't know who is multiplier!
There's no way to publish the member list in bulletins... that will not be
actual list,
because almost everyday come new members!
So there's will not make confusion if we add 'YC' ... contariwise - it will
be better
if we add it !!!! What's bad if members send RS(T) + AGE + letters 'YC'
(example for me in CW:    .....  -.  -.     .----  .....    -.--  -.-.    )
May be if they see how many peoples send 'YC' they will be impressed about
our group and the will have more incentive to become a members after the
contest. (In that way we must to settle down our HF-Net)

>Scores:  n5nu@inu.net  - or - my CBA since 1997
>
>I hope that this appeases everyone and makes a fair settlement.
>
>Have fun and see you in the contest.
>
>73, Jason N5NU - WWYC Contest Chairman
>
>n5nu@inu.net
>http://www.inu.net/n5nu/

I don't see categories?!?
Do you forgot to add it or not??
I'll tell again my simple opinion.

My first example:
a) CW only
b) SSB only
c) Mixed
d) SWL

There's will have just 4 awards.
But if you would like there to be more happy peoples categories can be:

My second example:
a) CW only
    1) all bands
    2) one band
b) SSB only
    1) all bands
    2) one band
c) Mixed
    1) all bands
    2) one band
d) SWL

I think in 2nd example there will be more happy peoples , because everyone
have bigger chance to win in any category.
In frst example everyone who would like to win must to be forced to take
part
in all bands!! In 2nd example somone can to play in all bands and someone
to play in one band and everyone will have opponents in himself category!

Ok.. that's all! All the best!

73, Dimitar LZ5AZ - WWYC #2

--
Best Regards & 73,                               dimitart@mbox.infotel.bg