[WWYC] WWYC M/M effort

Tobias Wellnitz t.wellnitz@gmx.de
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:19:23 +0200

Hi Guys,

here's my oppinion to the WWYCs M/M effort:

I don't think that we should start our first activity
in the Multi / Multi class. I had been a lot in touch
with the CN8WW organisation, and I saw how much work
it is, to organise an M/M effort.
On the www page of the hesinki-contest meeting you can
see how much money (!) cn8ww did cost last year !

But I you like to propose a WWYC activity in the Multi / Single
class. That would be possible to be organised in one year. I
believe that we also have right amount of people, equipment
and money for a M/S effort.

some comments to already sent mails via the reflector:

> One very good place in Europe would be Azore (CU) Island. Not so far away
> from USA, very good location in middle of sea. CU is also CEPT country.
> There hasn't been so many hams in contests from CU. So, it would be also
> quite nice place to give multiplier also.

You are right - I think Azore Island is the best QTH at the moment
to get a new european record. In the Bavarian Contest Club we also
thought already about going there, but more in the future than in the
next 2-3 years.

>That sounds very good indeed. If we are going to pull this off I think
>that it takes a lot of preparations, A LOT and we should need help
>>from a station on the island.....I think that's a must!!

Has anyone of us already been already at Arzore Islands ?

If not I might talk to Baldur, DJ6SI who has been some days ago
there, for an IOTA activation.

I also suggest, that a few guys (or a single person) of us
should go there some month before the contest to check out
everything...

>And another problem is equipment......a lot of preparations....

It wouldn't be such a huge problem when we are taking part
in M/S category.

At first we should decide what kind of M/S we should choose:
M/S 1: 1x running station
M/S 2: 1x running station + 1 multiplier search station
M/S 3: 1x running station + 2 multiplier search stations

A raw dimension would be:

-a couple of transievers
-3 to 4 Highband Antennas (how about wire-yagis ?) Maybe a
 good mix of 3-Banders and Monobanders
-a 40m Beam (or vertical array ?)
-a 80m array
-a 160m array or single vertical
-beverages ?
- TOWERS to set up the antennas !! (as more antennas we'll
  have a more towers we'll need!)
- some rotors
-2x 1500W Amplifiers and 1-2 Backup PAs
-recieving (/ transmitting filters) (i.e. Dunestar..)
-some hundert meters of coax cable

DL2NBU, DL6RAI and I have designed a M/S antenna switching box
from which 2 stations can access at the same time to 18 Antennas
incl a stack of 1-3 Antennas per Band.

Most parts are already ordered, so I think it will be built up until
end of the year.

I could provide this Switching box for a M/S effort...

I also included 3 files in this mail: "printgl.exe azores.plt"
will print a beammap from azore-islands. In Azores.lst the
headings to all DXCC countrys are written down.

Mainly we can see that we need 3 directions:

abt 40°-60° Europe (2000-6000km)
abt 250°-300° USA & Carribian (4000-7700km)
abt 10° Japan (11700km)

Best strategy would be to transmit into 2 direction (USA/EU) most
time. I don't think the bands will close much during the
whole time. That would give us the change to work USA and EU
at the same time not to lose one single QSO :-)

Does anyone knows how much a flight to Azores Islands costs from
Europe or Stateside ?
Or how expensive is "living" there (food, hotel..etc) ?

73 & happy contesting

Toby, DH1TW ex VK9XY

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://lists.contesting.com/wwyc-faq.htm