[WWYC] N5TW CQWWSSB MS

Kenneth E. Harker kharker@cs.utexas.edu
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:41:14 -0600

     Here are our results.  I was the only WWYCer in this particular
group.  It was a lot of fun to contest with Gator N5RZ, who will be
representing the USA this summer in WRTC 2002.  Gator drove nearly five
hours each way to operate with us, as he lives way out west...

     The strangest moment I had all weekend was callign CQ to Europe on
SUnday morning on 10M and hearing my own voice in a loud echo with
about two seconds delay...  I'd heard about LDEs (long-delayed echoes)
before, but this was the first time I'd heard one.

      We probably won't finish top ten in the US, but we did beat out
our Texas competition (AA5NT and K5NA)...

----- Forwarded message from N5TW

> Below are the preliminary results for the M/S effort here.  My plan had been
> to just use this as a DXing opportunity until N5DUW asked about operating
> somewhere at the last club meeting.   NA4M and WM5R were interested so we
> started to make plans for doing something in earnest.   At the bash, I shyly
> asked N5RZ if he was interested in coming and he jumped in without a nanosec
> of hesitation - very cool - now we're really getting excited!  I had never
> done M/S and did not even understand about being able to use a second radio
> for multipliers until Ralph explained it to me - then he offered to bring
> out his FT1000D and Alpha 99 - great!    Peter (N5TR) joined on a last
> minute request and was available to operate the second night shift - that
> was just super Peter!
>
> The packet system locked up right at the start of the contest and we owe
> K5NA for taking a costly timeout to diagnose it and reboot the cluster just
> to get us on-line - thanks Richard!    Great run Saturday morning and
> afternoon was pretty good but the bands were poor the second night and
> Sunday morning.  I only operated a total of maybe half an hour using my time
> on logistics, watching the packet cluster and pacing - the team did all the
> real work.   I thought everyone did just super and we had a bunch of fun.
> Special thanks for the high volume of local spotting activity - very
> helpful!
>
> Tom Whiteside
> N5TW Georgetown, TX
>
>                 CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB
>
> Call: N5TW
> Operator(s): OPERATORS: N5RZ NA4M WM5R N5DUW N5TR N5TW
> Station: N5TW
>
> Class: M/S HP
> QTH: TX ZN 4
> Operating Time (hrs): 48

>   160:     21     10     19
>    80:     60     21     53
>    40:    179     28     92
>    20:    619     38    140
>    15:    891     38    141
>    10:   1222     38    151
> -------------------------------
> Total:   2982    173    596  =  6,060,489
>
> Club/Team: Central Texas DX and Contesting Club (CTDXCC)
>
> Comments:
>
> This was the station's first time out in this category and also our first
> time
> to operate together as a team.  Special thanks to the Gator-man N5RZ for
> coming
> from Midland and a super effort - we all learned tons, sir!   Also thanks to
> N5TR for coming out and enduring the absolutely lousy conditions the second
> night.   The team played hard and had fun - thanks to CQ for this great
> contest!

----- End forwarded message -----

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

FAQ on WWW:               http://lists.contesting.com/wwyc-faq.htm