[WWYC] my experience with 48 hours contests

SM3WMV Mikael sm3wmv@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:36:57

Hello!

It was a while ago since i Wrote on this reflector but here I am!

I've worked some 48h contests but I have never worked full 48 hours. My
record is 46 hours and that was taken during the CQWW DX SSB in 99.
After 24 hours in the contest I took a two hour sleep. I slept about 3 hours
during 61 before and during that contest.

I have some tips about staying awake for a long time:
#1 DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT dring coffeine! This is a death sin!
  I drank coffee during the CQWW SSB contest last year and my
  stomach broke and that costed me the Under 21 year plaque! I
  took 8 hours offtime because I got so sick! Probably because
  the lack of food and the coffee!

#2 When you see the screen jumping around, stand up infront of the
    radio and if this dosent help, run a lap around the house or make
    some pushups. And if this dosent help, take a shower!!
    When the screens starts to jump or something like that you will
    probably fall asleep very soon! Its better to spend a few minutes
    running than spending a lot of minutes later sleeping over the
    keyboard!!

#3 Dont eat very big meals during a contest. This sounds a bit
    strange but you should always eat small meals and pretty often.
    The reason to do that is because otherwise you'll get tired
    right after the meal, and you dont want to get tired!

#4 I dont have any more time....Ill write more later!

73 // Micke (SM3WMV // SM3W)