[WWYC] N4C IOTA story

n4ydu@att.net n4ydu@att.net
Thu, 01 Aug 2002 19:24:27 +0000

Hey gang. Band conditions weren't the best during the IOTA
contest, but KO4PY and I still had a lot of fun. KO4PY
organized the entire trip and did a wonderful job at it.
He
is set up really well for field operations.

We went to the North Carolina Core Banks Island and set up
some wire antennas (loops, dipoles and long wires) on 35
foot masts.

We had a bad thunderstorm around 2330Z and we were forced
to shut down for a while during a really good run to
Europe. We operated as long as we could during the storm
but it was tough to pull guys out of the static crashes.
Signals were reasonable, but the static was peaking 20
over in short bursts. We were able to keep a rate of about
80 like that, but I think it would have been more like 120
with out the static.

The mosquitoes were deadly out there. Nothing seemed to
work to totally get rid of them. The boat ride to the
island was nice and the people on the island didn't care
what we did.

We never really had a good run to Europe on 15, but we did
have some decent rates 20 and 40. 40M was great for us. We
put up a quarterwave aluminum vertical right on the
seashore and it was fantastic!

We spent a little time on 80 and were happy to get a few
mults with our long wire antenna.

It was nice working the WWYC guys. The ones I remember are
IK3UNA, 9A6XX and maybe Dl7fer. I'm sure there were more.

I won't be around the weekend of the WAE CW contest too
much, but I'll try to get on and hand out a few points as
either nr3x or N4YDU.

The following is a summary of N4C

Class: 100 Watt Island Dxpedition

Band		QSOs		Mults