[WWYC] SO2R question

Franki - ON5ZO franki.van.neyghem@pandora.be
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:48:28 +0200

Hello guys

I am about the take the hobby to a next level: the building of a
completely new station from scratch (YL and I bought a house).
This will take some years (the antennas, not the shack) but I'd
like to do the engineering right from the beginning on (as far as
possible). I also recently bought a second TS-850 so SO2R is
certainly an option.
I never did SO2R, or don't know anyone who is good at it. So I
have some questions. Technically there are a lot of resources on
the internet, so I know about antenna switching, filtering,
switching between TRX 1/2 and stuff like that.

But what I'd like to know is: how do you use that second radio?
Right now, when operating from OTxH (always single band entry,
never multiband!), I use VFO A to run and when it's calmer and
people don't answer the CQ, I switch to VFO B on that same band
to S&P while tuning up and down the band. If you find something,
try to work it quickly and switch to VFO A to call CQ and keep
the QRG. Is this what you do with the second radio? Are there any
Young Contesters that do SO2R?

All hints, tips, tricks and usefull technical info on SO2R is
welcome!

73, Franki ON5ZO
http://www.qsl.net/on5zo

PS: OTxH can be found here:  http://www.on7sa.be