[WWYC] CQWW CW DL1IAO SOAB LP

Stefan v. Baltz, DL1IAO stefan-von.baltz@student.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:19:52 +0100

                   CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: DL1IAO
Operator(s): DL1IAO
Station: DL1IAO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: JN48HV
Operating Time (hrs): 46.2
Radios: SO2R

  160:  114     7       46
   80:  518    14       69
   40:  620    22       94
   20:  509    27       82
   15:  543    29      101
   10:  426    30       90
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

2x TS870, Topten decoders, WX0B filters
CT981 on 2 Ethernet-linked P200īs

KT34A @17m, 40m Rotary DP @20m, 80m DP @17m,
160M: 40m antenna + feedline used as T-Vertical (ran out of time)

One full week needed to get the station back in shape.  This included fixing
both radios, the rotor and one of the PCīs.  I failed with the homebrew amp so
ended up LP as last year.  The 40m Rotary DP (one half of a 40-2CD) played
quite well and it sure was a thrilling feeling to have to rotate "something" to
work a multiplier on 40!

I did not even try to break some of the huge packet pileups.  I would just
put them into the band map and return to their frequency on a regular basis.
Sometimes I got them with the first call this way, sometimes not.  Seems odd
that I did not hear/work more multipliers (zones) as I S&Pīed almost the full
weekend.  Sure many regular AS/OC areas were missed due to the degraded high
band condx.

As there was no pre-contest nap illusions on sunday evening got as bad as they
can get.  One funny (?) moment was to hear someone transmitting DL1IAO 5nn21 on
40m.  I looked on the screen and found a G3 12 minutes ago as my last contact,
probably on CQ.  I sent out a report and hear TU YI9OM - uggh.  Thatīs one of
the few incidents cutting down my operating time to about 46 hours!

Check out http://www.dl1iao.com for a more detailed writeup in a few days.

73,

Stefan, DL1IAO