[WWYC] WAE CW ON5ZO Single Op LP

Franki at ON5ZO.be franki at on5zo.be
Tue Aug 12 10:38:22 EDT 2003

Congrats to CT1ILT and 9A6XX @ 9A7P - Hrle's location is a bit tougher than CT  ;o).
Before the contest I asked Hrle how he does manage to get so many QTCs, because I
always ask but almost never get them. During the contest, we exchanged score in real
time a couple of times on the WWYC-node (courtesy of Greg KE9R), and again Hrle's QTC
score grew exponentially compared to mine! I like to think that it's because I have a
modest to weak signal, and the signal from 9A7P must be stronger. I draw that
conclusion, because on 20+40m where I was once again pretty strong (compared to
15+80m), I get more QTCs and without muh begging - the same occured last year. Enough
about QTCs.

Biggest frustration (next to lack of QTCs): LU4FM on 80m who copied my call as ON5
ZZ, GO, EG etc but NOT ZO. I was just a few dB's short of making my first LU QSO on
80m. I bailed out because it took too much time. This is a situation where SO2R is a
must...

Biggest thrill: strong W's on 80m, coming back to my CQ the first night. First time
that happened to me on 80m...

I used N1MMLogger that only supported WAE since last week. It was a risk but I had
tested it thoroughly with Tom N1MM and it turned out just great, he implemented
almost all features I had asked for. I know how CT and W/L handle QTCs, but
N1MMLogger is just the smoothest interface around, just because there is no QTC
interface! Seeing is believing!

I had a great time, and I'll be back again next year!

73 de Franki ON5ZO

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: ON5ZO
Operator(s): ON5ZO
Station: ON5ZO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: JO20ar
Operating Time (hrs): 28

   80:   29    10    42
   40:   95   142    93
   20:  162   257    70
   15:   67    80    52
   10:    2     0     4
-------------------------
Total:  355   489   261  Total Score = 220,284

Club:

Comments:

SETUP:
TS-850 @ 100W
10+15+20m   triband trapped dipole at approx. 9m
40m         shorty vertical dipole with capacity spokes
80m         T-loaded vertical, 4 long radials, 20 shorter
software:   N1MMLogger, QTC RX interface is the best around, give it a try

THOUGHTS:
* WAE CW is my favourite contest, this is once again a proven fact
* 10m was dead in this QTH with this 'antenna' (ahum!), don't even know how I
managed to work 2 stations there...
* working USA on 80m and having a small modest run there is totally new
(woohoo!) to me but it was only possible the first night, second night I had S7
noise on 80m and signals were down several S-points
* Why are so many stations reluctant to give QTCs? It boosts your score, and on
the WAE side, it adds to the fun! I had to beg and beg and got numerous NILs,
QRUs, SRIs or LATERs
* I thought there was less activity than last year?

Still a lot of fun, TNX fr all QSOs es QTCs.
73 de Franki ON5ZO