[WWYC] Internal vs external log checking.

Greg Fox ke9r at ke9r.com
Tue Dec 2 15:52:34 EST 2003

While everyone else has talked about whether
alternative log checking is fair or unfair, I do not
plan to. Instead I hope to ask a few other interesting
questions.

First, would this be 100% okay if the results where
not emailed or available until one hour after the log
submission deadline?

I seem to think so.

Also, why should we discourage alternative log
checking over the largest base available? I see this
as nothing but a good thing. Right now it's impossibly
a long time before I receive input back from CQ. I do
not subscribe to the magazine, so I do not know how I
finish. I also am not able to see all sorts of
statistical manipulation that can be done on the log
files. Amazing things could happen to alternative WW
logs, well beyond simply figuring out what you busted.

Having suggested the WWYC contest with Luc a while I
realize what a pain it is to find a time to fit a
contest in and to organize one. Why not make a website
where you can include certain logs into a sub contest,
giving your own awards out, etc.

I am optimisitic that these programs can be used for
loads of good, far more then the initial repulsive
feeling that pulls you away from them. Let's actively
consider what they can be used for and how they can
be.

73 Greg/KE9R