[WWYC] OT3R in IARU - WRTC style

Franki at ON5ZO.be franki at on5zo.be
Tue Jul 15 00:03:24 EDT 2003

OK guys

First off, congrats to the real WRTC-style winners,  9A6XX and 9A6NPM! I know how it
feels to be at this position, so just enjoy it guys  hi.

Ken ON4CCP and I had a good time WRTC'ing around. ConDX were horrible on 10m+15m
Saturday afternoon (1200z and later), but 15m turned into gold on Sunday morning
until the end of the contest. 10m gave some good EU openings but not too much DX. 40m
phone was hell, 160m on such a simple antenna is not great either.
Highlight: a lot of VERY strong signals from PY and LU on 20+15+10m!

We did not have a real planned strategy, any plans we had might have been killed by
the conDX anyway... We used a mix of both modes and when the runs slowed down we went
up 'n down the bands to look for mults. Looking for mults on the second RX was hard,
because of QRM by the TX rig and both antennas close together. We need bandpass
filters on at least the RX, preferrably also on the TX.

Nothing more to add, except that a software bug made us (and all of you) believe that
OT3R took first place. Ending fifth is pretty good too. We learned a lot from this
and probably we'll do it again - except for the scoring issue  ;o)

I'd like to thank ON4CCP for the invitation to his station and asking me to join him
in this contest, and also his XYL ON4CFG for the delicious meals and coping with
Contesting Madmen.

73 / CU in WAE?
- ON5ZO Franki

Final OT3R score: