[WWYC] Self-spotting

marko.holmavuo at dnainternet.net marko.holmavuo at dnainternet.net
Tue Sep 23 11:18:51 EDT 2003

WWYC Fellows,

It seems that nowadays there are a lot of talk and mess about selfspotting.
Things considering this can be read from many forums.

Please, when ever you are going to blame somebody for self spotting, be
absolutely sure that you really know what you are doing.

It is not enough to check just check and resolve IP-address where the spot has
sended. Nowadays you cannot be damn sure how IP-traffic is routed along
companies or big networks. You cannot know how long distance the packet have
travelled in intra or extra and where it have come to public network...

Sorry to say, but many peoples are using this as "only" argument.

Peoples should be really be aware about these issues before....e.g. blaming
somebody about selfspotting without no real evidence.

There many issues what shouldn't happen in contests...Using or monitoring
packet cluster in unnassisted category, using telephones to call, self-spotting
etc. etc.

We should try to concentrate that what we do by ourselves are morally right.
There are contest "referees" and log-check organisation whose "job" is to give
senteces.

But please remember that we still should be gentlemans and in first hand try to
remember what is most essential thing in ham-radio and contesting.

Best regards,
Marko OH4JFN/OH4R

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with self-spotting, nobody hasn't blamed me
about such issues, or any other non-moral things considering about contesting.
I am just worried about this new trend which will in long term make make harm
to our friendship and our hamspirit. And I think that WWYC fellows are so wise
that we can show how things should be done. GO WWYC!