[WWYC] sprint notes

Bernhard Buettner DL6RAI ben at dl6rai.muc.de
Tue Apr 20 17:06:23 EDT 2004

Hi WWYCers:

What you need in EU sprint is persistence. It's not a fast pace
contest like NA sprint and you got to look for the weak signals
and slow OPs. In the end you will run out of stations anyway and
then these slow and weak guys will not be there any more.

What I do (parts of strategy from DARC Christmas Contest which is
actually the source of the QSY rule in sprints):

a) When I start on a new band I try to run really fast and get
the sharp OPs into my log real quick.

b) I don't wait for QSOs to finish but look for a free spot and call
CQ for the first 20 minutes.

c) After about 20 minutes I QRS and look for stations I haven't
worked yet. I put every callsign I hear into my head so I know what's
still missing.

d) I use two VFOs and move up the band in a rather chaotic way. When
I feel, I am beyond the upper limit, I spin the dial down and start
again from the bottom.

e) I never wait on a frequency until a QSO is finished, rather keep
going on and try to find a QSO in the right "phase" or a CQer.

f) 20 is good for new stations all the time. So stay there longer
than on the other bands. On 40 and 80 coverage is very limited and
no new stations will show up. You can work these bands down in an
hour, but keep 2 for 20.

That's all - this has worked out fine a couple of times so it can't
be very wrong.

73 Ben, DL6RAI
--
[]    Name: Bernhard Buettner (Ben)     Callsign: DL6RAI
[]     Web: http://www.muc.de/~buettneb    Phone: +49-89-943663