[WWYC] UBA CW ON5ZO

Franki at ON5ZO.be franki at on5zo.be
Mon Mar 1 22:25:21 EST 2004

Here's how I did:

CallSign Used : ON5ZO
Operator(s) : ON5ZO

UBA category : BL (Low Power, 12hours)
Club/Team : WWYC
Software: N1MM Logger V3.0.205

 Band  Contacts     DXCC
 ----  --------          ----
   3,5        84           24
      7       136         31
    14       212         31
    21       120         18
    28         7             4
Total       559         108

Final Score : 168 372

Rig : TS-850 @ 100W

Antennas : 40m vertical dipole (design: ON4BAI); other bands: homebrew multiband
parallel wire dipole, feedpoint at 9m (only).

Comments:
First 4 hours were HOT HOT HOT, 'last ten' peaking 100-150, 'last 100' between 80-100
all the time, mostly running and fast S&P. This never happened to me before. Then for
two hours, things slowed down but still fast enough and I felt really strong. Faster
than CQ WW and ARRL DX last week. I believe this is because it is a small contest
with not much big guns around. At this point I calculated that in 12 hours, I should
end with 600-650 QSOs. Then I went to bed and got up at 05.30utc to find 80m empty
(no DX) and no USA on 40m. I had two or three slow hours that made me decide to take
all my remaining free time at once and start at 0900 until 1300utc for a full blown
last sprint. I ended with 559 QSOs, of which 406 in the first 6 hours and 143 in the
last 6 hours. See the difference?

I am sure this will place me in the top 5, but to put it in perspective: last year
counted only 9 logs in this category and this score would have been the second best.
I took the 12hr category, as most ON's do only 6hr out of 24, and it's hard to
compete against these guys (big antennas). Thanks to all WWYC in the log, especially
those whom I begged to QSY for multipliers  ;o)

Next up: Russian DX?

73 / CU
Franki ON5ZO