[WWYC] G0RTN SOAB LP

Gerard Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Sun Nov 28 20:27:21 EST 2004

Whoof - I'm too shattered from the last few hours on 80 to actually sleep so
beer and Jimi Hendrix while doing my contest paperwork seems like a good
idea - I've taken tomorrow off work!  I need to reposition my antenna, I
think, as I just couldn't get much going on 15 and nothing at all on 10.
Conditions seemed disturbed for parts of the contest - especially the low
bands on Sunday evening - or am I midreading?

I'm a little bit disappointed but at the end of the day, it was fun.  Nice
to work 9A6XX, DJ1YFK, CT8T, 9Y4ZC/DL6FBL, SM3W, CT7B as well as the people
at 9A9D, OT4L, NQ4I, IR4X

PS - D4B is one hell of an operator!

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G0RTN
Operator(s): G0RTN
Station: G0RTN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Central London
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  202     7       45
   40:  283    15       70
   20:  147    11       40
   15:   93    14       35
   10:    5     3        4
------------------------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Too shattered to do very much, but still too 'up' to go to sleep.  I have to
admit to being slightly disappointed with my results given the amount of
hours I
put in.  Overall I found conditions very poor with the exception of the
first
two hours of the contest on 40, the early hours of Sunday morning on 40 and
80
and a great opening to the USA on 20 around Sunday early evening.
Inevitably
heard a lot more DX than I worked!  I think the problem is that my trap
dipole
is too close to the roof of the block of flats I live in (done so for
stealth
reasons) and needs to be raised another couple of metres, at least at the
apex,
to avoid interacting with the building.  20 and 40 were fine when conditions
picked up, and even 80 had its moments, but for whatever reason I couldn't
get
anything going on the high bands.

Still it was, as always, a lot of fun, and look forward to seeing the
results
trickle in.  My personal favourite has to be D4B - its a pleasure to be in a
pile-up run by this guy!