[WWYC] [Urgent!] Possible funding for the meeting from the EU Youth Programme

Marek SQ5BPM sq5bpm at poczta.onet.pl
Mon Jan 10 14:24:22 EST 2005

Hi all,

There is a possibility to receive co-funding for the meeting from
European Union Youth Programme, action Youth Exchange. As everything in
the EU, procedures are slightly complicated and with many restrictions.
The thing is that to apply for the grant, the application has to be
submitted on February 1st at the latest(!), so we are very short in
time. Even if our application is rejected, I think it would be stupid
not to try.

*** IMPORTANT ***

Before submitting the application we need to know how many of you would
come to SP if you had up to 70% of travel costs reimbursed and
accomodation for free. Please send (positive) replies to [my_callsign] @
wp.pl (robots keep off). Please include a rough calculation of the
travel cost.

Remember, that eligible costs for travel include 2nd class train ticket,
APEX airfare, probably bus. Private cars only if you can prove that it's
cheaper than those above, we use ca. 0.19 euro per kilometer for
calculation. For 4-5 persons in the car it should be OK.

For practical reasons, all this has to be known before ca. January 20th,
to be able to complete the formal part (stamps, signatures, ...).

*****************

To successfully apply for the grant, the group of people covered by the
Youth funding has to be well-balanced, i.e. comparable number of
countries from EU and from outside EU, comparable number of people
coming from each country etc. In addition, in each country involved
there must be an official, registered organisation that will take under
it's wings the group of young people and agree to put it's stamp on the
application form. This can be anything but a commercial company (even a
church or something alike as I've been told). Probably the easiest would
be to receive it from your National Amateur Radio Society or some other
amateur radio organisation. Please look around what is possible. As for
the non-EU countries, these are divided into groups that must not be
mixed, so I think we'll concentrate on the group of south-east Europe
(Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Former Yugoslavian Republic
of Macedonia, Serbia and Montenegro). The other countries should be EU
countries.

As I've been told, the EU officials don't care whether there are only
people from countries mentioned in the application form participating or
more. They don't even care, how we share the money among ourselves. The
important thing is to have a ticket/receipt/invoice for each euro spent
and that you'll not receive more that you apply.

Last but not least, there should be a nice project written, describing
why the grant should be given, what is the purpose of the meeting, what
will be done in the politically important areas like multi-cultural
education etc. Some nicely sounding sentences about all this boring
stuff like education, international co-operation, local and
international level etc. should do the job.

I believe that there is a good chance of receiving the money provided we
do all the official stuff well. You can find more about the Youth
programme at http://europa.eu.int/comm/youth/index_en.html . If you're
from an EU country, you can ask for more information at your Youth
National Agency.

If you want to have a look how the application form looks like, what
kind of data we're requested etc., I started to fill in some basic data
at http://sq5bpm.sp5zcc.waw.pl/wwyc_youth.doc (these are not real yet!)

If the project is rejected, we can try once more on April 1st, but on
that deadline only EU countries are eligible for funding.

73! Marek SQ5BPM