[Yaesu] FT-900 synthesizer noise

Dave Maley dgmaley@inav.net
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 10:35:53 +0000

> Subject:       [Yaesu] FT-900 synthesizer noise
> Date:          Tue, 24 Dec 96 09:27:04 -0500
> From:          Lucien Stavenhagen <lucien@austin.metrowerks.com>
> To:            <yaesu@contesting.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I have an FT-900 that seems to have a problem. Or, at least, I'd like to
> know if it's a problem. It seems to exhibit what sounds like synthesizer
> noise, most notably in the 10mhz band. It's loudest if you just have a
> small piece of wire in the antenna jack (not coax, just placing a wire
> right there in the center conductor) and with the microphone plugged in.
> On my unit, I hear interference when the tuning knob is rotated, or the
> shift knob..in fact, if I move any of the controls of the front panel, I
> hear this quite loudly. This is with the noise blanker off; I've tried
> turning on IPO, etc. The unit appears to be picking up RF from the
> operations of the front panel unit. The thing that's odd about this is it
> didn't do this when I first bought it (the unit is about a month old).
> Is this a problem that you all have seen? Or can someone with an FT-900
> confirm this?
>
> Thanks,
> Lucien S.
> KF5XR
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/yaesufaq.html
> Submissions:              yaesu@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  yaesu-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:  	          ke7gh@contesting.com

Lecien;  Yea; I hear it too.  I don't think it's anything from the RF
boards.  I suspects it's spurs from the two CPU clocks.
I think Yaesu intended people to operate the radio with a coaxial
fed antenna.  The main CPU clock is 19.6608 Mhz, and the front
panel CPU is 7.3728 Mhz.  You'll hear both with just a wire plugged
into the antenna jack.
You can send your own radio a reception report<smile>.
Have fun!  Dave  WA0ZZG
AR