FT1000MP TX problems

rlc@soho.ios.com rlc@soho.ios.com
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 10:05:07 +0000

Thanks to Dave and Andrew for posting this.  My FT1000MP has
essentially the same problem and some additonal varations.  It is now
back at Yaseu for its third trip and I have supplied two video tapes
demonstrating failure modes.  I would appreciate any feedback from
anyone else who has had similar symptons.  So far Yaesu has been very
polite and interested, but has not fixed ANY of the problems.  The
operation is so bizarre that I don't feel they are going to be able
to cure the problem anytime soon, and after the third trip back at
about 4 weeks ship, exmaine, return, cycles, I am asking them to
replace the rig.

Anyway the rig usually appears normal when cold.  After being on
quitea few hours in RX mode, a switch to TX will reveal max power
dropping on several bands but >100W on others.  When the tuner is
engaged the power drops further and the tuner makes a 1:1 dummy load
look like a 1.3:1 load.  After a while the tuner will get into an
extended tune mode where it cannot find a null and will time out
(into a dummy load or a well-matched antenna).  The next step is for
the tuner to break into the "Buzzing" mode described below.  My rig
has an additional "feature."  Over the last 2 months once it becomes
ill at some point, usually during a DX contact I really want, it
stops going into TX mode.  (It also stops closing the relaly in an
attached amp if that is in use.)
The only way to get it into TX mode is to engage the tuner and ask it
to tune.  It does not tune but the TX indication turns on.  At that
point depending on how the rig feels it may deliver 0 output in cw or
SSB or it may deliver full output.  The only problem is that you
cannot get it out of TX mode till you turn the power off.

Other possibly related symptons:  At the same output power level the
ALC in SSB is erratic.  At times it behaves just as the manual says,
with voice peaks driving teh ALC indication to the right end of the
meter scale.  At other times, yelling whistling etc cannot drive it
past midscale, even with the mike gain set for max and the "mike
meter reading" showing that audio is maxed.  Another wierd sympton
with this rig is an "airy" unstable beat note that walks through the
cw passband near the noise floor with the 500HZ/250Hz filter
combination.  This is not RF tunable but cw pitch control tunable and
is cleared up either by a wider filetr set or by turning on the EDSP.
 It is annoying but I can work around it.

To me all these problems added up spell some sort of RF leakage or
coupling problem.  After hearing about some FT1000MP EMC problems in
the presence of other TXs I am even more suspocious.  I would
appreciate any feedback from those with similar problems or any
advice on how to get Yases to replace this rig they have been unable
to repair.  I will post any input from YAesu as I expect to call them
early next week.

Bob Carroll
AA2UV