FT-990 noise floor

Joe Pontek, K8JP palooka@pyrotechnics.com
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:24:52 -0500

>X400-Received:
> by mta bnr.ca in /PRMD=BNR/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=CA/; Relayed; Mon, 10 Jun
1996 08:54:45 -0400
>X400-Received:
> by /PRMD=BNR/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=CA/; Relayed; Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:54:08
-0400
>X400-Received:
> by /PRMD=BNR/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=CA/; Relayed; Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:54:00
-0400
>Date:  Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:54:00 -0400
>X400-Originator:  /dd.id=dasa025/g=friedemann/i=f/s=heyer/@bnr.ca
>X400-MTS-Identifier:
> [/PRMD=BNR/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=CA/;bcars520.b.485:10.05.96.12.54.08]
>X400-Content-Type:  P2-1984 (2)
>From: "friedemann (f.) heyer" <heyer@nortel.ca>
>To: yaesu@akorn.net
>Subject:  FT990 high audio noise
>Sender: owner-yaesu@akorn.net
>
>Hi everybody, (I wonder If I ever come through with this message)
>
>I like the FT990 very much, the only thing I'm dissapointed about is the
>relatively loud audio noise which highers the noise floor of the transceiver
>specially on calm bands which is really a pitty because you can't work what
>you can't hear. So my question : Does anybody know if there is a possibility
>in a small design change to lower this noise. I read something that it comes
>out of the IF- not RF-stages so maybe one could use other transistors with
>lower noise or different bias currents (Arbeitspunkte ??? (sorry))
>Maybe there is a known workaround to lower the noise floor.
>
>(The use of the switched capacitor filter makes it even worse as it lowers
>the usable audio bandwith and understandibility)
>

>Thank you in advance and 73
>
>Friedemann, still DG9GM, hard practicing CW

Friedemann,

Your message came thru with no address or subject. Rather than try to
decipher the address from the preamble, I'll note this to the reflector.

I have an FT990 here and do not notice a high noise floor.  As a matter of
fact, when the band is dead at my Indiana QTH, I check the antenna
connections. This is one of the reasons I enjoy my FT990. Are you sure the
noise is from the receiver and not from a source in the ham shack? I would
be curious if others experience a high noise floor.

73, K8Joe"Palooka"

K8JP, K8JP/VA2, VP5/K8JP, VP5JP, ex-K8HKM
palooka@pyrotechnics.com

snail mail:
Joe Pontek, K8JP
P. O. Box 59573