[Yaesu] FT1000mp & 6m Interferance

Dave Norton dave@khn.foobar.co.uk
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 12:13:52 +0000

I have cut this from rec.radio.ant for anyone thats interested

Hi Folks,

If anyone has a FT1000mp and a six metre rig can they see if they are
picking up a very strong carrier (9+) around 50.158 from the FT1000mp. I
have a week old FT1000mp and trying to use it with a 6m transverter is
giving me big problems with a 9+ carrier and 10-20khz noise either side.
I can hear the carrier on another 6m RX close by without an antenna
plugged in in 6m rig and with the transverter totally disconnected. It
makes no diifference what band the FT1000mp is tuned to, the carrier is
still there. Tapping the FT1000mp causes ringing on the carrier picked
up on the 6m rig.

Many thanks

Duncan
G4ELJ
--------
A distraction is only a distraction if you pay attention to it.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.
http://www.egenesys.demom.co.uk

Just a quick follow up.

This morning Monday the dealer suggests that the it is possibly from the
switch mode power supply (my version is the AC model). they are
investigating further and will get back to me later today.

Duncan
--------
sliced from time to time....
http://www.genesys.demon.co.uk

Hi Folks,

The answer to the above is that the processor runs at around 25Mhz. I am
seeing a very strong harmonic and I could just be very unlucky that my
FT1000mp is a bad one. The frequency varies rig to rig but is around
24.9-25.1. If you are unlucky it could wipe out 12m. My fundamental on
approx 25.07 (drifts high) is about S9 on the FT1000 receiver itself
with major noise plus/minus 20-30khz.

Duncan
G4ELJ

--------

Dr. Duncan Clark wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> The answer to the above is that the processor runs at around 25Mhz. I
am
> seeing a very strong harmonic and I could just be very unlucky that my
> FT1000mp is a bad one. The frequency varies rig to rig but is around
> 24.9-25.1. If you are unlucky it could wipe out 12m. My fundamental on
> approx 25.07 (drifts high) is about S9 on the FT1000 receiver itself
> with major noise plus/minus 20-30khz.
>
> Duncan
> G4ELJ

Hi Duncan!  Well, I wish my 1000MP had its harmonic that far away
from the calling frequency here in the states.  My 1000MP transmits
a strong carrier around 50.125!  Quite nice for contests!
It seems to radiate worse from around the key paddle jack when
I have my Kent paddle plugged in.  Let me know if there is a cure!

Mike - WA8MSF  EM79sd

In article <3262EC4E.54D5@popd.ix.netcom.com>, Michael Valentine
<wa8msf@popd.ix.netcom.com> writes

>Hi Duncan!  Well, I wish my 1000MP had its harmonic that far away
>from the calling frequency here in the states.  My 1000MP transmits
>a strong carrier around 50.125!  Quite nice for contests!
>It seems to radiate worse from around the key paddle jack when
>I have my Kent paddle plugged in.  Let me know if there is a cure!
>
>Mike - WA8MSF  EM79sd

Hi Mike,

It's a real pain isn't it! I've just sent mine back today to see if they
can sort anything. Yaesu's official line appears to be that there are no
birdies on any band it was designed for. If that is the case why put in
the provision for setting the display to 50Mhz when transverting? It
isn't very satisfactory. Here it ciovers up the Eu DX portion of the
band. It's even more annoying 'cos I spent most evenings last week
putting a 6m transverter kit together specifically to use with the
FT1000mp intending to sell my TS670 which I currently use. Only when
testing the transverter did I actually have TS670 on at the same time as
the FT1000mp. I'l let you know what happens but I suggest any
prospective buyer of an FT1000mp who uses 6m checks it alongside a 6m
rig first.

Duncan
-----
Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.

In article <3262EC4E.54D5@popd.ix.netcom.com>, Michael Valentine
<wa8msf@popd.ix.netcom.com> writes

>Hi Duncan!  Well, I wish my 1000MP had its harmonic that far away
>from the calling frequency here in the states.  My 1000MP transmits
>a strong carrier around 50.125!  Quite nice for contests!
>It seems to radiate worse from around the key paddle jack when
>I have my Kent paddle plugged in.  Let me know if there is a cure!
>
>Mike - WA8MSF  EM79sd

My UK agent is complaining strongly to Yaesu and they suggest that you
do likewise especially as the manual shows how to connect a transverter
etc. The agent has found that the microphone connector has a lot of
links direct to the cpu and the mic lead/mic radiates most of the hash
(presumabley because of the up/down buttons) although a lot still comes
through the front panel. I use a Heil boom microphone but it could be
much worse if I used the supplied Yaesu microphone.

I'm surprised the magazine reviewers didn't pick this up. I would have
probably avoided the FT1000mp if I had known. If it had been picked up
in a review I'm sure something would have been done by Yaesu.

Unless Yaesu are made aware by complaints they may not act fast. So kick
up a big fuss and demand action direct to Yaesu US. maybe we will get a
fix.

Best regards

Duncan
-----
Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.

In article <CNs2YGA1rQZyEwZc@genesys.demon.co.uk>, "Dr. Duncan Clark"
<duncan@genesys.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <3262EC4E.54D5@popd.ix.netcom.com>, Michael Valentine
><wa8msf@popd.ix.netcom.com> writes
>>

>>Hi Duncan!  Well, I wish my 1000MP had its harmonic that far away
>>from the calling frequency here in the states.  My 1000MP transmits
>>a strong carrier around 50.125!  Quite nice for contests!
>>It seems to radiate worse from around the key paddle jack when
>>I have my Kent paddle plugged in.  Let me know if there is a cure!
>>
>>Mike - WA8MSF  EM79sd
>>

>My UK agent is complaining strongly to Yaesu and they suggest that you
>do likewise especially as the manual shows how to connect a transverter
>etc. The agent has found that the microphone connector has a lot of
>links direct to the cpu and the mic lead/mic radiates most of the hash
>(presumabley because of the up/down buttons) although a lot still comes
>through the front panel. I use a Heil boom microphone but it could be
>much worse if I used the supplied Yaesu microphone.
>
>I'm surprised the magazine reviewers didn't pick this up. I would have
>probably avoided the FT1000mp if I had known. If it had been picked up
>in a review I'm sure something would have been done by Yaesu.
>
>Unless Yaesu are made aware by complaints they may not act fast. So
kick
>up a big fuss and demand action direct to Yaesu US. maybe we will get a
>fix.

        I have only got round to having a quick check of my 1000mp, and
surprisingly found that my carrier was on 24.977, well within the
Amateur band.
        This makes the second harmonic at 49.954, I can hear it clearly
on a baby listening device anywhere in the house. It is also not a good
idea to listen to classic fm around 100mhz when in the shack :-)

At least my six metres is clear !

You are correct that the standard mike makes things worse in the shack,
and anything else connected to the rig seems to help radiate the
carrier. I use a homemade headset, and its not as bad as the standard
mike, though changing the position and polarity of any connected cables
makes a differance.

Its a pity about this, I love the rig and wouldn't change it, but would
like to know how anyone gets on with Yaesu, mines still under warranty
so I suppose they should fix it.

Dave
Dave Norton - G0UHI
dave@khn.foobar.co.uk