[Yaesu] FT 990 Problem in filter board

KR4DAGRIP@aol.com KR4DAGRIP@aol.com
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:24:35 -0400 (EDT)

I bought a FT 990 March 1996 and also the CW-narrow filter and installed
the filter. I have all the filters in this unit.
I have had a Icom 751A for about 3 years and put this radio away as a spare.
I had the pin-diodes installed in the 751A and also a CW-narrow filter, and I
have had the filter for  a YEAR but never installed it.
I did not know what a CW-NARROW filter would be like and after getting the IC
751A
back yesterday and turning it on I went into cw-narrow and noticed I did not
lose
any audio when going from the 500 to 250 filter.........But if I did the same
thing on
the FT 990 in the 250 position the audio and signal dropped very low...still
could
hear the signal put was really hard to use.
After listening to the IC751A I just felt I had to have a problem.
I DO. I opened the 990 up and removed the board looking at the filters and
soldering
job. I re-inserted the board same thing. Playing with the board/flexing with
power  on the signal jumped up and I now know what I am supposed to hear with
a change from the 500 to the 250.
Put I can not fix this problem, except by jamming a piece of plastic between
the card
and shield causing it to flex enough to make it sound right.
I wonder if this card is multi-layer? Also I checked the fingers on the main
board that
the card plugs into.

Anyway for the other newbies out there, while switching from 500 to 250 the
signal should stay up. I sure like that 250 filter.

Anybody else have this type problem?

73 de KR4DA Bob Lawrenceville GA

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.primenet.com/~ke7gh/yaesu.html