[Yaesu] FT767GX Info Requested

msa msa@naples.net
Tue, 29 Apr 97 19:12:23 -0400

On 4.28.97 6:55 PM Wayne Montague wrote:

>- service history
>- user impressions
>- typical price
>- availability
>- quirks
>- features
>- anything else that may come to mind

Wayne:

I am blind copying this to a couple of guys that also own the radio and
if they have anything to add, perhaps they will.

I bought a 767 a few years ago on the advice of a fellow ham here in
Naples-actually on the advice of two other hams, the opinions of whom I
had come to respect. It is a decision I will never regret. At the time I
only had my ticket a few years, so the whole world of ham radio was
unknown to me-heck, I had never even tried RTTY!

The 767 has been a great choice for me for several reasons. First, it is
a fairly tough radio. My primary mode is RTTY. I do reduce power 50%,
though. Second, it has more input/output jacks than you will ever find
use for. This is great for digital types because it means you do not need
to use the mic input and the whole installation is a lot neater. Third,
the way this radio handles splits and moemories in general is pretty
friendly. Mind youI have only used an 820, a 757GX, and a 930S (which is
for sale).

One thing about this radio is the ability to add modules, if you can find
them. Recently I added the 2m and the 430 (not the 440-that's a different
module) so that I could use the radio on satellites. Almost any
satellite. But these modules are hard to find. Not impossile, but hard. I
paid $200 each and that is pretty much the going rate.

Is this radio better than, say, the 690 (Kenwood), or the 950? Dunno. I
doubt it. My experience with ham gear is that by and large tranceivers in
the same price class are pretty much identical in terms of performance.
And radios are not really that expensive, nor are they hard to sell, so I
say just take a shot and try it out. The worst that can happen? You'll
need to sell it.

My radio did need to go back to Yaesu recently because of power supply
problems. There were a few glitches with Yaesu but for the most part they
were curteous and fast and helpful.

Availability? I see them around, esp on the net in various places. I
would say that with no modules the radio should sell for around $900 or
so.

Downside: No ability to add filters; inboard slope does not work on FSK.
Not deal killers, in light of all the positives.

Hope this helps.

de N4XSE Michael

my normal email address is: msa@naples.net

if you are a ham radio operator