[Yaesu] Re: FT-736 1.2 GHz output power? M57762 spec sheet?

Dale R. Parfitt par@magg.net
Mon, 08 Dec 1997 19:30:13 -0500

David Feldman wrote:

> My FT736 1.2 GHz module has developed low output power at the upper
> band edge (and to a lesser extent at the lower band edge). By low I
> mean 3-4 watts CW or PEP, when 10 was expected, within 10 MHz of the
> upper band edge, and same for lower edge. Does this sound like
> an output module problem? Anyone done their own service on the
> FEX736-1.2? I have suitable test equipment (power meter, spectrum
> analyzer, synthesizer, etc.) but haven't dealt with the unit before.
>
> Also, do you usually service the FT736 modules in place or is some
> kind of extender cable set required/recommended?
>
> Thanx in advance,
>
> 73 Dave WB0GAZ dgf@netcom.com
>
> ------
> Submissions:                    vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
> Human list administrator:       vhf-approval@w6yx.stanford.edu

   Hi Dave,

All of the 736 plug in modules (and maybe the 70cM also) suffer from a
similar problem. If after changing bands you lower the drive to say 5W
and observe this power level over a period of several hours, you will
notice a constant decrease in power (keyed up just long enough to
measure power}. You can get back to 5W by going to a different band and
then returning or readjusting the drive level ( it will decrease again
over time).
I have also heard of your problem from an EME friend of mine- 2 trips to
Yaesu fixed it.
Dale
W4OP