[Yaesu] FT-1000MP AF Non Existent Hiss Trait.

WD8ARZ wd8arz@null.net
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:12:56 -0500

Hello Adam, and thanks for taking the time to post your experience with the
FT-900CAT and as to how that might relate to the FT1000MP.

Well first off, (and not directed to any one person or message) I am not in
agreement that a blanket observations that all FT1000MP's have a audio hiss
problem is valid. IMO is about the same as saying rf preamp. As covered in
past Yaesu and FT1000MP email reflector postings, rf and if gains have an
attribute to amplify back ground band noise (and any signals that are
present). If the radio it self was the source of most of this noise (and
there are some exceptions to this, but not many) then disconnecting the
antenna would mean that any left over noise is the radio. Mine is dead
quite with out an antenna attached. The FT1000MP is a HOT reciever and thus
is going to have band noise. I find that even on very weak signals that do
not move the S meter, rf gain can be reduced and still hold good audio
output. Several past messages also refer to the significant differences
that can be made to the audio with various menu and panel control settings.

Anyone having a loss in audio frequency response on the low end of the
audio spectrum would be prone to the audio hiss observation. That is so
weither it is a configuration of the audio, or a loss of low frequency
sensitivity in the persons ears......hey, it does happen.

Also it was not made clear from the original postings what other
circumstances were envolved or weither we are talking audio quality and
noise, rf signal to noise ratio, or some personal preference of choice. I
have found several users of radios that complained about receiver noise
were infact getting broadband white noise from digital equipment in there
home or near by. Computers and other digitals devices, especially old or
defective ones with long wire cables to them can be quite noisy in the rf
spectrum and tend to modulate other signals with that noise.

In either case, with the many postings about the FT1000MP, it has only been
this one thread that brought up this concern. If the problem was that
prevalent, many many other users would not only be making independent
comment about it, but would have jumped on the bandwagon about it when the
thread did come up.

After all this is a communications receiver, it is not meant to and cannot
provide hifi audio as we would expect off of local fm communications. I for
one get concerned about message threads that create an impression that
quickly blanket any make or model radio with a trait that doesnt
statistically represent most of the product line. I am very very impressed
with the FT1000MP great 'near fm sound' when properly set up and tuned to a
signal that is transmitting broad frequency audio. When a singleside band
transmit is set for its full frequency range, and the recieved side does
the same, it doesnt take much signal strength to provide some of the best
hf ssb I have ever heard.  Tune to the 160meter band from 1840-1870
(especially the 1850khz group) that run such settings and I think most will
be very impressed. Yes, wide settings mean more noise, but not when
transmit and receive sides match and there is sufficient signal to noise
ratio for the band being used. You can always make the adjustments to suit
your personnal taste......

73 from Bill Stamps - WD8ARZ
E-Mail Reply to:
wd8arz@null.net