[Yaesu] FT-1000MP - main rx AF hiss - followup

WD8ARZ wd8arz@null.net
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 07:41:12 -0500

Hello again Steve, and Thank You for posting your very excellent and
informative reply ! It is really rare for someone to follow up an issue
from the begining to a satisfactory conclusion, much less to a fix or a
modification. Some of the previous message thread was cross posted on to a
FT1000MP email reflector at   http://jehosophat.com/1000mp/   so I have put
a copy of this message there too.

Sometimes it is frustrating when trying to work out technical issues when
you cant put your hands on a users rig, or be there with them to see what
is missing or being overlooked in the information being exchanged. With
your FT1000MP possably being a mis-build, I wonder now if those that agreed
with your earlier assesment have the same problem ? Would be interesting to
hear from them after they follow up on the component value identifications
issue.

Will be looking forward to further postings from you about the FT1000MP in
the future.

73 from Bill Stamps - WD8ARZ
E-Mail Reply to:
wd8arz@null.net

----------
> From: Steve Franke <sfranke@uiwpls.ece.uiuc.edu>
> To: yaesu@contesting.com
> Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP - main rx AF hiss - followup
> Date: Tuesday, December 23, 1997 1:31 PM
>
> Hi All,
>
> I started this thread, so I thought that I should follow up with what I
> learned about my FT1000MP.  After some fairly extensive tests, I decided
> that my transceiver is within specifications, and performs as the
designers
> intended. I also discovered that my perception of significantly more high
> frequency hiss on the main receiver output relative to the sub-receiver
> output (CW mode, EDSP demod OFF, 500 Hz filters) was correct, but I now
> have a better understanding of the constraints that led to this
performance
> characteristic.  I should note that the audio sounded fine to me when
EDSP
> demodulation was turned ON.
>
> It turns out that the CW-mode AF low-pass filter is different on the main
> and sub receivers in my unit.  The sub-receiver employs a filter with a
> slightly peaked low-pass response with the peak at about 700 Hz, whereas
> the main receiver has a low-pass filter with flat response out to about 1
> kHz or so.  I discovered this only after inspecting the AF circuit board,
> as the schematic that came with my radio (and the service manual
schematic)
> showed identical analog AF CW filters in main/sub receivers.
>
> The net result, on my radio, when employing analog demodulation and with
> main and sub receiver AF gains set for equal total AF output powers, was
20
> dB higher noise spectral density level at 2 kHz on the main receiver.
This