[Yaesu] Yaesu FT-625RD VFO

Rick Blank rblank@txdirect.net
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 04:33:54 +0000

> Hi All. I am wondering if anyone knows of a cure for this problem....
>
> The VFO on my rig has a certain spot where it wants to "roll" off the
> frequency.
> I am thinking it is something with the shaft but haven't looked into this
> yet.
> Possibly a worn ball bearing..?
> Just wondering if there is something that can be replaced, or is it
> beyond help.
> Any comments appreciated.
> 73, George  ka3jwj@juno.com

George, it's been quite a while since I have even seen an FT-625,
but, if they are like the FT-902 drive then maybe a TINY bit of
lubrication may help...I have found a product put out by Rawn
Chemicals that is great for lubing planetary ball drives, like the
ubiquitous Jackson Brothers Ball Drives from England, that is called
RIP 3.  Rip 3 is a heavy duty lube that sprays out of the can in a
slightly higher viscosity than such sprays as Tri-Flow, etc., but, as
the solvent present in the lube evaporate, the RIP 3 thickens.

This allows the lubricant to penetrate into the mechanism, allowing
it to slightly "soften" up the old lube, re-lubricate dry spots, and
then, in about a day, thicken into a grease similar in viscosity to
the original grease in the planetary drive.

I did the drives in a set of the Swan 600R-600T twins and they work
beautifully, I have done this with a drive I put on a 51J-4, with a
Yaesu FTDX-400 and it's VFO, and several others that have come and
gone thru the collection here.  I have found that VFO creep has
usually been from thickened grease and PROPER lubrication can help
immeasurably.  DO NOT USE regular lubricants that do not thicken as
there will be too little dampening in the drive and it will feel
"rough".

I would try a couple of drops, of RIP 3,  into the drive, a drop on
the ball bearings on the vfo, and then work the VFO from one endpoint
to the other by turning the knob.....work the lube in a drop at a
time, when the drive loosens up and has no more backlash, STOP....let
it sit overnight, run it from end to end again, and all should be
well....I have a syringe that came from filling ink jet cartridges
that works excellently for applying a small amount of this lube after
you collect the RIP 3 spray in a suitable container...clean up with
mineral spirits or equivalent...

I guess that if RIP 3 is locally unavailable that one could
experiment with using motorcycle chain lubricant...these usually foam
on, clean out dirt, and then thicken with a high shear strength
lubricant that is quite viscous and may work well in these kind of
drives....Lubriplate lithium grease is TOO THIN to use in these
drives, I have tried it and the results are poor with a very bad,
rough, feel to the reduction drive....the original lube is much more
like automotive chassis grease or non-fibrous wheel bearing
grease....

Just my thoughts, I hope this helps.

73

Rick Blank, KI5SL                      rblank@txdirect.net