[Yaesu] FT-1000MP New Owner Q's

Scott Tuthill k7zo@micron.net
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 15:59:44 -0700 (MST)

My FT-1000MP showed up last Wednesday and I logged
many hours on it this weekend during CQ160 SSB. Now
I have a bunch of new owner questions. From all you
1000MP owners out there how about some thoughts on:

1.) Is there any way to turn off the CAT indicator
    on the front panel? I had the 1000MP computer
    controlled by TR and the blasted CAT indicator
    blinked away all night. I finally put a piece
    of tape over it as it was driving me crazy.
    Worst of all, it adds no value to the use of
    the radio. I would know if CAT was not working.

2.) Is there supposed to be an indicator when you
    select the Receive antenna option? The manual
    makes a reference to an indicator light, like
    the one on the Notch, NB1, and NB2 buttons.
    All that I could see is that the antenna "A"
    display panel indicator goes off when receiving
    after the Receive antenna option is selected.
    I kind of hoped for a positive indicator of
    selection, not a negative one.

3.) The 1000MP compression does not seem to be
    very aggressive. When turned all the way up
    I was getting 10db. I am used to a TS-950 in
    which you can go well above that. And, yes I
    know 10db should be plenty -- it just seems
    different than I expected. Kind of like
    getting a stereo with 100W per channel knowing
    most of the time you will be running with less
    than 10. I am using a Heil 4 mic. Does that
    have something to do with it? And, as an aside
    what are your experiences in using EDSP in
    transmit with the 4 possible settings? Each
    one moves the high pass point up 100Hz. I have
    not experiemented enough to know what they do
    on the air.

4.) And for the "I really think it is broken" one,
    when I press the "A->B" button on the front
    panel nothing happens. There is no Beep, and
    VFO B is not updated by what is in VFO A. Could
    I have possibly turned it off somehow?

Thanks in advance to all repliers.... I am planning
on being back on the air in ARRL this weekend.

Scott/K7ZO

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.primenet.com/~ke7gh/yaesu.html