[Yaesu] FL7000 Problems

Bill Fisher, N4VJ & K4AAA km9p@akorn.net
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:16:51 -0500 (EST)

I've finally gotten around to hooking up my FL7000 that I am going to use
for my remote project.  Everything works 90% great with the ALC hooked up
to the FT1000MP.

Here are a few problems I have noticed:

1.  20M, regardless of antenna used, trips the protection circuit unless
drive is reduced to 350 to 400 watts out of the amplifier.  Both antennas
have less than 1.5 to 1 SWR in the CW band.

2.  The tuner in this thing seems to me to be mostly useless.  I set it
for a band then move to another band.  Set the new band and then return to
the previously set band.  The amp doesn't remember it's previous setting
and faults.  I dont need the tuner except for problem #1.

3.  The amp tends to fault the first time transmitting on a band.  It's
like the ALC doesnt quite kick in fast enough.  Resetting once or twice
normally results in normal operation.  Nothing else changed.

Overall I think it's kind of a neat amplifier.  I just need to work out
the bugs.  On 80, 40, and 15 the amp puts out 500W easily.  I'm anxious to
get QRV.

Of course now I have my eye on that new Icom solid state amplifier that
will do a KW.

Does anyone know of a SWR/Power meter that can be read via a com port?

73

Bill

Bill Fisher, N4VJ / K4AAA
http://www.contesting.com