[Yaesu] 6JS6C's

Rick Blank rblank@txdirect.net
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 01:56:11 +0000

> Hello All,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage to buying Japanese (NEC) or
> American replacement finals for my FT101EE? Does the driver brand matter?

The original tubes, usually NEC's or Toshibas were banded around the
bottom with a green stripe.  These are the ones that you want to look
for, they were more robustly made and will last a lot longer than
GE's.  Raytheon also branded some Japanese green stripe tubes with
their name, so, you may look at those.  There were some Radio Shack
lifetime tubes that I have looked at in 6JS6B size that internally
looked as robust as the green stripes and heavier than the GE's.

If you do replace with the GE's or what ever else is available, there
is a mod from Yaesu that adds capacitance to the neutralizing circuit
to handle the American tubes...I do recommend this mod as it's
sometimes impossible to neutralize the American tubes without it.

Rick Blank, KI5SL
rblank@txdirect.net
AMSAT NA# 26195
San Antonio, Texas