[Yaesu] FT-1000MP Performance Measurements

Steve Sacco KC2X kc2x@nebula.ispace.com
Fri, 18 Jul 97 17:03:43 -0500

[POSTED WITH PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR, W2VJN]

Well, it's about time.  In the past 6 or 7 years I have put many different
radios on my test bench and none have equaled the performance of the
several IC-765s that were tested.  The 1000MP was borrowed so I could do IF
filter performance testing as a preliminary to some new designs.  These
test results are a by product and may be of some interest to the contest
group.

During the IARU last week I operated on 40 CW at W1AW/7 with a 40 meter SSB
station next to me that was using an FT1000MP.  We each had full power and
a 3 element yagi at 160'.   The beams were spaced 230'.  There was only
minimal interference from the SSB station.

George
w2vjn@rosenet.net

	FT-1000MP PERFORMANCE TESTS S/N 5L030117		7/6/97

Conditions: stock SSB and 500Hz CW filters.
	(Numbers in parentheses are for a reference IC-765 S/N 4616)

SENSITIVITY- CW Noise Floor , dBm at:
				1.8 MHz = -127 tuned, -132 flat
				3.5  	   = -123      "   -134   "
				7.0	   = -126      "   -134   "
				14	   = -130      "   -134   "
				21	   = -135      "   -134   "
				28	   = -142      "   -135   "(-140 w/preamp)

SELECTIVITY-	Small signal, AGC off, CW  = 480 Hz 			(330 Hz)

		Large signal, AGC on, CW  = 940 Hz			(680 Hz)

AGC - 1/2 dB increase from threshold to 60 dB over S9.  Smooth response.
       	Undershoot = 5%  Fast, negligible Slow			          (none)
       	Overshoot   = 20% Fast, 10% Slow.        	(7% Fast, 17% Slow)

RECIPROCAL MIXING -phase noise
	Measured with the radio offset from a crystal oscillator by the amount
indicated and adjusting the input level to raise the noise floor 3 dB.  CW
filters.

			Offset	         Level (dBm)
			3 kHz		-41		(-44 )
			5 kHz		-34		(-37)
			10 kHz		-27		(-30)
			50 kHz		-5		(-16)

KEYING - tested at 40 meters, no frequency effects noted.
		Rise time = 2 ms.  Fall time = 1.5 ms.
		Delay to RF out  = 8 ms, vox and 10 ms, BK in.
		Character shortening = 40 ms key down provides 39.5 ms dots in 		VOX mode
and 41 ms in BK-IN mode.  First dot is not shortened.

SPEECH PROCESSING -average power increase due to processing.
      	Peak power output is 100 watts.  White random noise is put into the
	mike input and the level is adjusted for an ALC reading according
	to the instruction manual.

	Average power output, no processing   = 27 watts			(17 watts)
	Average power output, with processing = 49 watts, 56 w/dsp	(42 watts)

WIDE BAND TRANSMITTED NOISE-
	Noise emitted on the transmitting band and all those below it as received
in 	a 500 Hz filter = -80 dBm or -107 dB/Hz    	(-60 dBm or -87 dB/Hz)
	(Not a function of carrier level.)

COMMENTS - Good Features.
	1.0  CW keying is essentially perfect.  Waveform has smooth rise and fall
       and is flat topped.  Monitor tone is pleasing.

	2.0  Phase noise performance is excellent.  It's the only radio I have
tested 	       that has lower phase noise than the IC-765.  (Includes
FT1000D.)

	3.0  Wide band transmitted noise is 20 dB lower than the 765.  Performance
	       in a multi station environment will be good.

	4.0  Power control goes down to one watt or less and keying remains
 perfect.

	5.0  SSB talk power is as good as the best radios I have tested, both with
	      	       and without the processor.

COMMENTS - Could use improvement.
	1.0  A few unstable birdies showed up on 160 meters with the receiver
input 	       terminated in 50 ohms.

The test radio was supplied by KC2X for evaluation.  Thanks Steve.

George Cutsogeorge, W2VJN

--
<< kc2x@nebula.ispace.com | http://www2.ispace.com/~kc2x >>