[Yaesu] FT-990/-1000D/MP Thoughts?

Brian K. Short KE7GH@primenet.com
Mon, 02 Jun 1997 02:19:15 +0100

I've received a few comments about the new FT-1000D (thanks).
Please keep them coming...

As you may know, I have a very modest contest station (city
here limits antennas and a small lot), but I do enjoy doing
a few CW, RTTY, and VHF contests from my station each year.

Please feel free to comment on my thoughts below...

I recently sold my FT-736 (6m, 2m, 1.25m, 70cm) rig in favor
of going to transverters for the higher bands (I have an IC-706
that will permit some 6m and 2m activity).

My current thoughts are to use the FT-1000mp as an IF rig since
it has a xverter output, on 222 and 432.  It is also a very nice
HF rig for CW etc.

I have always wanted an FT-1000D for low power RTTY contesting.
With the 200w power output capability, it can easily handle the
100-150w limit without using an amplifier (I have used an FL-7000
in past to run 150w, but it is now unnecessary for low power class).

That leaves my FT-990DC which has all filters installed. It has
been a *GREAT* rig, but how can I use 3 rigs in my small setup?
The present thought is to sell the FT-990?

Any further thoughts? Which is better MP or D? ...BOTH!

-Brian ke7gh@primenet.com