[Yaesu] FT920 (was New Yaesu Amp?)

Andrew Williamson andrew@gi0nwg.demon.co.uk
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:52:53 +0100

In message <199706041437.KAA26287@cliff.concentric.net>, Ron Galbraith
N0EC <N0EC@concentric.net> writes
>I played with the new FT920 at HRO for a couple of hours the other day, and
>was very impressed with the DSP.

Interesting observation.  I played with an FT920 into a 20M monobander
at around 100ft, and was very disappointed with the 'sharpness' of the
DSP compared with my FT1000MP.  Maybe the fact that the DSP only closes
to 500Hz makes it sound worse (or was it the fact that it is only audio
DSP compared to 'IF' DSP in the 'MP).  500Hz is just not tight enough.
We know Yaesu can implement good, narrow DSP (FT1000MP), so why didn't
they put narrower DSP into the FT920.  This one point spoils what
otherwise could be a useful radio.

Any other observations ?

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI