Fw: [Yaesu] FT 8100 Feed back probs

Mills, Chuck millscl@msx.upmc.edu
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:45:37 -0500

Yet another 8100  with the same problem...for all of you that are
wrestling with this...here's what I've found with mine:

1> High SWR Seems to make it more suseptable.  I threw an SWR Meter and
a Bird WATT Meter on it and both were showing over a 2:1 SWR...this
seemed to cause the lock almost every time.  The wattmeter was showing
only 24 watts out (out of the max on high) at the feedpoint.  The radio
was cutting down power but still not doing it.

2> On a frequency of around 147.480 Mhz, I was getting interference from
somewhere at certain times.  It seems that when the interference
(probabaly from my vehicle - 1993 Ford Explorer) is present, it is very
likely to do a lock into Tx mode.  Also, to eliminate the possibility
that it wasn't my vehicle, I  check ed for the the interference at
different locations...I was always able to reproduce it.

3> Putting the squelch knob all the way clockwise helps cut down on the
locking too.

All of these are obviously just work arounds but I would advise checking
the SWR.  I had a very bad ground and didn't know it.  I now run about
1.3:1 SWR and it doesn't lock anymore.  I agree that Yaesu needs to look
at this problem, however.

73,
Chuck / W3YNI