[Yaesu] Thoughts on FT1000 vs FT1000MP??

morel grunberg morel@shani.net
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:49:58 +0300

Steve,

After running both FT-1000D and FT-1000MP, I should recommend you to
make an upgrade from FT-1000 to FT-1000D with the BPF-1 unit ( around
$150)
and only the narrow filters you need. Of course it depends on your
specific needs: if you want a real heavy duty, real crossband dual RX,
cleaner TX and simplier front panel, go for the "D". The only advantages
I feel on "MP" are:

*the computer interface is better
*quick memories are useful
*automatic notch on SSB
*separate audio controls for two RX
*menus/submenuus for extended settings posibilities
*the RX EDSP is quite OK but no more than this

The "MP" disavantages ( in my opinion ):

*small switching and not so reliable PS
*12V TX final amplifier
*extremely busy front panel and "tricky display"
*TX DSP is ofenly very difficult to set-up for better audio. The
majority of the
 MP ops don't have enough knowledge to play with the DSP and carrier
shift settings
 and their signals sound better without TX DSP
*low TX duty cycle
*the price difference between "D" and "MP" represents quite well the
differences
between their hardware quality
*IF filter selection is somewhat flexible but takes more time for the
contests
*the "MP" needs any of the optional TCXO: his basic frequency stability
is ridicule
not only for digital modes, his instability can be feel on SSB too !!
*the manual is very scarce on explaining the menus and detailing the
settings

About interfacing them with amps, no problems at all with the "D". The
first series of "MP" have a problem with the RF power control on SSB and
this is a serious
problem if own a modern hi-gain metaloceramic tubes like 3CX800 ( Alpha
87A,86, 91,
Commander HF-2500, HF-1250,QRO HF-2500, Ameritron AL-800H, .....). This
series need
a relative uncomplicated HW modification.
Both transceivers have a noisy reed relay for amplifier switching. If
you like QSK
( and have it a QSK amp ), I strongly recommend you to use a simple FET
interface
from Harbach Electronic ( $11.00 ) connected to the solid state TX
output switch and
not use anymore the mechanical relay. Together with a PIN diode QSK
circuit ( as in
Alpha 87A or 86 ) you'll get a totally noiseless CW/SSB operation.

If you put the two transceivers on same desk and use same antenna, you
cannot feel
many differences on RX on average condx. On worse condx and/or severe
interference
every TCVR has his advantages but not real or dramatic difference. On
noisy low
bands I do prefere the "D". On power line noise problems both are quite
ineffective.

I was quite dissapointed by the "MP" RX audio with or without legendary
Collins
filters. It's OK but not outstanding. After I heard The TS-950SDX and
IC-775DSP
my opinion is that Kenwood has little bit more pleasant RX audio but
less defense
on intermods and many kinds of interferences than Yaesu. On TX audio ,
the 950 has
clear the best audio than any other. The 775 was the third on both RX
and TX quality.
The "MP" is more "colorful" with lots of bells and whistles and a modern
and more
powerful computer - the "D" computer was designed in 1989.

As a conclusion, both rigs are the best compromises on the market
today.They are
many to say about pluses and minuses of both rigs. Your decision should
be taken
according to your specific needs ( casual DX-er, rag-chewer, heavy
contester, CW fan and so on.....). Please let me know if you need more
info.

73 de Morel, 4X1AD