[Yaesu] FT1000MP RF Pwr & 15 meter problem

Jeff Singer js@netusa.net
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 01:09:28 -0500

Hi Ron,

I used to have the 15 mtr problem as well as the power output problem, but did both mods at home
and they went VERY well. I recommend them.

Unfortunately, this weekend I had the very same ugly oscillation problem you had, but on 10
mtrs! It is EXACTLY as you describe. If ther is a tech bulletin, I'd like to know as well.

Please keep me in mind. Tomorrow I will contact Yaesu, because I'll need the radio for the
November contest lineup. IT really screwed things up for our m/m team this weekend.

73 de Jeff K2KV
k2kv@reallybig.com (Please use this new address. Thanks)

------------------------
  From: "R.S.Walters" <rwalters@mailhost.magicnet.net>
  Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000MP RF Pwr & 15 meter problem
  Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 20:16:34 -0400
  To: yaesu@contesting.com

Recently acquired a FT1000MP and everything seems OK until I use 15 meters.
I have two major question I would appreciate feed back on, thanks in
advance, they are:

1) 	 I have experienced on several occasions on fifteen meters USB what
appears to be some type of feed back or parasitic oscillation.  It appears
to be heat related.
If I am running it into a dummy load the feedback or parasitic disappears.
I first thought that I had a problem with the antennas but it occurs both
on a tri-bander and on a  40 meter extended Zepp through a tuner.  It does
not show its ugly head until the rig has heated up and I've had several
QSO's  It only seems to effect USB.
The problem disappears when I remove the top cover, sometimes.  I also made
it disappear buy applying a little pressure on the unit just behind the
front panel left side.  I believe this is the antenna tuner?
I have read in several of the reflectors about a similar problem, when the
Tuner in the rig is active. Mine happens with or without the tuner on
although it may occur with the tuner.
Can anyone fill me in on the tuner problem I've read about, Is there a
technical bulletin out or does anyone have inf.  I'm not sure if I have a
heat related problem or  technical one.

2) 	Yes the rig is old enough, Serial 5L030104 , that the RF Power control
on SSB doesn't work real smooth when using the Compression.  Have read a
reflector DOC about a jumper fix and cut line but before I head in that
direction I'd like to hear from users that have used the fix and any
comments about the procedure.

Again thanks to everyone who took the time to read this and possible
respond.

73's - Ron W4LDE  email - rwalters@mailhost,magicnet.net