[Yaesu] FT-920

David O. Hachadorian k6ll@juno.com
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:05:04 EDT

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997 06:41:25 +0100 g3zyp@anglianet.co.uk (andy g3zyp)
writes:

>Hello,
>
>I hope soon to place an order for an FT-920. I've read several reviews
>and
>the rig looks good. I now hear there might be a problem with the ATU,
>any
>comments on the ATU operation would be much appreciated.
>
>Many thanks in anticipation,

The 920 was reviewed in October QST. The ATU got good comments,
but the review criticized high distortion products
on the transmitted signal, and indicated that cw signals could
be heard on the wrong side of zero beat, even with the optional
cw filter. The DSP had to be activated to remove the unwanted
sideband.

One of the ARRL reviewers complained on an Internet Reflector
about the transceiver's performance during a recent cw contest.
It's probably a nice radio for anyone except a contester.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
K6LL@juno.com