[Yaesu] Heathkit SB101 Microphone

John P Skubick k8js@juno.com
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:03:31 -0400

No "microhone expert" is needed for this.
Since this is a typical all-tube type of rig it will require a direct
output from
the mic of the crystal or ceramic element variety.
The mic input to the rig most likely requires a 50K impedance output
microphone
as mentioned above.  One typical model is the venerable Astatic D-104.
This excellant, well RF shielded, premium mic can now be found at many
Hamfest fleamarkets for 25 to 35 dollarettes.
There are others that are suitable, just be sure they have either a
crystal or ceramic element.
You can initially test-out this type of mic for output to see if it's
crystal or ceramic element is
still good or not.  Use a volt-ohm meter (VOM) set to the 1 or 3 volts,
**AC** scale.
With this connected to the mic's cord, whistle or speak loudly and
closely into the microhone.
You should see a slight needle deflection (analog VOM), or a voltage
output reading (digital VOM).
Enjoy!         73.        --John, K8JS

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:10:19 -0400 btilman@gelac.mar.lmco.com (Bill
Tilman) writes:

>Any microphone experts out there ?
>
>I have a Heathkit SB101 without a microphone.  I would like
>to just build one from some parts - Radio Shack parts or
>other, as necessary.  I don't know much about what is really
>needed to match it up with the input of this radio.  Does
>anyone have a working design ?  Or a simple idea I can give
>it a try ?   I happen to have an extra microphone from a
>Casette recorder if it can be used ?
>
> Thanks                       Bill
> 73's                         wb7qfo@amsat.org
>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.qsl.net/k7on/yaesu.html
>Submissions:              yaesu@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  yaesu-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-yaesu@contesting.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]