[Yaesu] Feedback on FT920 or FT847 for 6 meter use and backup rig to FT1000!

Allan Schlaugat allanws@werewolf.net
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 01:53:25 GMT

>Fellows I am looking for a rig that I can use as a backup and
>to play around with 6 meters. I have not heard good things about the FT920..

I have the FT920 and I would like to know what 'bad' things are said
about the radio.
I got the latest production run in July 1998 and found the radio to be
solid in every way. On 6m it is a dream! Very sensitive receive and
excellent noise blanking with the IF blanker and the DSP noise
reduction. With the stock 2.4+ Khz SSB filter it does OK on 6m since
everyone seems to be on 5khz multiples on SSB. However on HF you will
want to get the INRAD 2.1 or 1.8 filters. Much better specs. You
really notice the difference on 20m!

73   Al

--
Allan W. Schlaugat     allanws@werewolf.net     Albertville, WI  USA