[Yaesu] FT920 output

John Lane lanej@provide.net
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:26:04 -0000

A properly adjusted SSB transmitter will only showabout 30 to 50% of CW
output on voice peaks (using an average reading watt meter such as a Bird
43) and perhaps a little more when speech processing is used.  If you are
seeing more than this, chances are your signal is distorted.
Ballistics of various meters vary and you may see more with with a fast
acting meter such as the one provided with the FT-920.  Nonetheless, unless
the instrument is specifically designed to be peak reading, it's unlikely
you will see full output on speech.
If memory serves about 50 watts would be typical from what I remember when I
had an FT-920.        -- W8KX

>I have the same experience with my FT-920 as well.  It is very interesting
>to see that the rig puts out the expected 100W peak if you send a pure
>tone into the mic.  The normal speech peak, even with the mic gain turn
>all the way, can only make it to reach 70W to 80W.
>
>I talked with the Yaesu tech support and they insisted that I was too
>paranoia about my output.  They said that a cheap coil meter could not
>tell what a scope can see.
>
>Well, I didn't want to argue so I waited to see if someone on the net
>would eventually tell the world about the mod.  Since I do CW and PACTOR
>most of the time, I can live with the SSB low average on my rig for the
>time being.
>
>Best 73!
>
>de David Ho, AF4BH
>Covington, KY  USA
>E-Mail: davidho@one.net
>
>On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 KA2YKC@aol.com wrote:
>

>> Just wondering if anyone has adjusted the RF output or ALC on an FT920.
It