[Yaesu] FT-1000MP - S-METER ACCURACY

Jim Parsons k5rov@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:02:49 -0600

There is one time when I find an S-meter reading useful. When a station is
testing antennas, power output, etc, and asks for comparative reports, I
watch the  S-meter. The ear cannot recognize changes in signal strength
that the S-meter can. Of course, even then there is the chance for QSB,
etc. But, at least I can give the other station an idea of the amount of
signal change better than my ear can.

Jim, K5ROV

At 05:30 PM 2/11/98 +0100, Tucker, Donald S wrote:

>> Hyper accurate s meters would probably cost 1000.00 dollars or more,
>> so
>> the meters we have in our rigs are really "approximate meters". That
>> being said, for me, the signal report on either ssb or cw is a really
>> fun and interesting part of the QSO. I also very much enjoy hearing
>> about the stations working conditions, especially the antenna part.
>> Just
>> my opinion.
>>
>> 73 ... N1MSV
>>

>	 Right, I should care what my signal strength report is. Just be
>sure you have my call  correctly entered in your log, particularly if
>you are a new country or county or prefecture or whatever.  Is there an
>award for 59 or 599 reports? I give my s-meter reports as very strong,
>strong, kinda strong, and can barely copy you. If you want a number
>you'll get it, but what meaning does it really have since it all depends
>on band conditions, receiver, antenna and a multitude of other
>variables?
>
>	Don W7WLL.
>
>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.qsl.net/k7on/yaesu.html
>Submissions:              yaesu@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  yaesu-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-yaesu@contesting.com

James (Jim), Parsons, K5ROV USAF, Ret.
k5rov@worldnet.att.net   QCWA, NWQRP, Fists, ARRL
EX: W1RLA, K5FBB, K4FEO, SV0WN (CRETE), SV0WN (RHODES),
DL4NC, DL4JP, KA2FC (JAPAN), KA2JP (JAPAN).
JOHN 3:16