[Yaesu] FT-1000D Vintage and Mods

Gerry Hohn Gerry.Hohn.ghohn@nt.com
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 10:20:55 -0500

I've recently acquired a used FT-1000D and am trying to validate it's
vintage as well as figuring out what mods have and should be done.

I've scoured this and other mail lists for information and have found
some but nothing conclusive. Steve N3SL had posted some good information
over a year ago. He had a detailed list of mods but on contacting him he
no longer had the list and suggested that I put out a call for help on
the mail list.

What I'm trying to decide is 1) what mods may have been done 2) the
value of returning the radio to Yaesu in Calif. for a complete upgrade.
The return to Calif. would cost me about $400 CDN plus the cross boarder
hassles.

Some of the things I wonder about are:

- noticeable background hiss on the main RX
- Overload of the Sub RX on strong signals (especially when the 650 Hz
filter is in)
- Main RX sensitivity (or is it just that the radio is very quite
compared to my old IC-761)
- Birdie at 7.138 and some at other spots

My radio serial is #01090098. It was owned by a tech who worked for an
authorized Yaesu dealer and he tells me he did the major mods such as
replacing the RX switching diodes.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd be happy to pay for any costs
incurred in getting me information by FAX or MAIL.

Thanks,

Gerry VE6LB

Gerry