[Yaesu] Re: FT-50 battery drain

Zoran Kostic peca@galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 06:19:33 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Mike Morrow wrote:

> An earlier post stated that a 150 microamp battery drain (when the FT is
> OFF) would deplete the battery in 10 days.
> I think the actual calculation should be:
> Service Hours = (Battery Capacity in mA-hrs) / (Current drain in mA)
> The typical FT-50 battery is 600 mA-hours capacity, and 150 uA = .15 mA,
> Service Hours = 600 mA-hrs / .15 mA = 4000 hours
> 4000 hours = 23.8 weeks.  A battery should not deplete in a mere 10 days

Yes, that was my posting. You are right, it is not as serious as i have
presented it. I remember doing some thinking about this earlier, but i
don't know how i got the impression that the battt would be discharged so
quickly. It was a long time ago, so i probably mixed things up.

> of non-use.  Most likely, battery self-discharge would be a much more
> significant effect in battery depletion.

This is true, for sure :)

> Supposedly there is a Yaesu service bulletin out for some FT-50s that
> have a much higher current draw when off.  Up to 10 mA has been reported
> by some!

And, this is very serious!
Still, as i pointed out in the previous posting, beware from combined
effects like increased off-current, old batteries, not fully charged,
etc...

73,
Zoran