[Yaesu] FT1000MP Noise blanker and Contour Settings

Ron Walters rwalters@mailhost.magicnet.net
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:29:36 -0500

As a new Owner, about (3) three months, of the FT1000MP.  I have several
questions that I’m hoping some of you experienced Owners can give some
advice or share idea’s regarding the use of the EDSP contour and the
effectiveness of the NB1 and NB2 noise blanker.

1st ,  What does the contour settings accomplish and which ones work the
best for you and on what mode.  Maybe I’m expecting something unusual,
but when I use the contour I feel that the receiver quality and
performance go down.  This seems especially true on SSB.  Noise
reduction does take place but signal reduction or distortion also
occurs.  Any comment or suggestions?

2nd   As a former Owner of a Kenwood TS940SAT I am use to two types of
noise blanker, one for the typical pulse type which appears to be NB1 on
the 1000mp, luckily I live where this type is uncommon so I really can’t
tell if NB1 works well or not.  Type two, NB2 is similar to the Kenwood
for stated function but does not seem to have the significant impact on
general noise that the Kenwood had.  I could see as much as 3-4 S-Unit
reduction on 160 with the Kenwood and very little if any with the
1000mp.  I know the NB level control is working since it causes the
typical distortion on the signal if the level control is rotated to
high.

The other morning I was up early and tuned 40 meters looking for some DX
on the low end off the CW band, had the pre-amp on and noticed that the
noise level was a S-7, I was use to a S-1 or close to it.  This was not
your typical QRN but a steady noise floor.  The IPO was not engaged.
NB1 or NB2 had no effect on the noise.  Maybe I just don’t realize the
effect the 1000mp pre-amp plays in the receiver performance when
compared to the TS940 which never, that I can remember, had such a high
noise floor.  I am not the original Owner and possibly I had a tinker
who screwed up the noise blanker before I got it ,  or maybe this is one
or if not the only weakness I can find with this great rig.  I do have
the pre-amp set for "Flate" menu item #8-4.  Any comments?

73’s - Ron W4LDE