[Yaesu] FT-1000MP 70Mhz mod

Bob Patten n4bp@bc.seflin.org
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 02:22:12 -0400 (EDT)

	I received the Int'l Radio "Background Noise Reduction, Sensitivity
Improvement Mod" in todays mail and had it installed and checked before
leaving for work tonight.  The quality of workmanship is excellent, the
instructions make it very simple to install.
	I didn't have a lot of time to play with it, so I simply reduced
the IF gain by two notches from the menu and gave a listen around 10M.
The background hiss was indeed reduced while maintaining normal
sensitivity.  Even more dramatic was the effect from installing the
"bonus mod", a .0047 capacitor added to the audio board.  My radio had
the .0015 cap installed while a much larger cap was called for in the
schematic.  When I bridged the new cap across the original, the remaining
hiss seemed to disappear and the audio output seemed to increase by
several db.  All in all, I believe the mods are a worthwhile addition.

	   73,
				   ,'' '',
     Bob Patten, N4BP              ( 0 0 )               Plantation, FL

                         E-Mail: n4bp@bc.seflin.org
              Web Page: http://wg104a.wh.uni-stuttgart.de/~n4bp
                     Brass Pounder BBS: (954) 472-7715