[Yaesu] Fwd: FT-847

MEcker1447@aol.com MEcker1447@aol.com
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 02:12:59 EDT

--part0_898495979_boundary

From: MEcker1447@aol.com
To: w8rd@usa.net
Cc: MEcker1447@aol.com
Subject: FT-847
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 02:37:23 EDT

Hi, just purchased this radio - KE2BP. I have a few questions and
observations-
if you would be so kind to post this, I would be grateful.

Observations:
1. The sensitivity of the radio on 50mhz, 144mhz and 430/440 mhz is
     incredible- more sensitive than the fabled IC970. I was able to track
     CW carriers on my ssg down to .01, and .005uvs on 144/440 and
     .015uvs on 6meters SSB.-in some cases with and WITHOUT the
     preamp in line.
2.  The audio and fm discriminator meter is great. Fantastically listenable

Questions: Does Anybody know:
      Why the radio needs the pre-amp in line to pick-out a cw carrier
      on 1.853mhz usb and at least at a .02uv signal cw when the 2m/440
      section can pick out a .01uv signal or less without using the preamp?!!!
      Im wondering if this is how others find this radio to perform or is
       there(sadly) something wrong with my particular 847 I purchased. I
       would be grateful for a reply to this- and if anyone could take a few
moments
       to test this rig on their ssg for similar observations... If others
find this
       to be true, then it is a decent performer on HF and a superhuman
performer
       on VHF- or is it just my rig?  MEcker1447@aol.com
       2. Is there any info about the alignment menu settings- eg: IF Gain-
etc....
           and does the setting differ based on the current band reading in
the
            display or VHF/vs HF or HF vs 50mhz vs 440 vs 144.... or
whichever....
            am dying to know the answer to any info tinkerers have discoverd
about
            the alignment menu- and why are there almost 150 sublevels of gain
            adjustment when entering this menu on say, 160meters- is this a
gain
             controll with 150 levels? Holy COW!!!! THats a lot of adjustments
for
             just one menu item- I notice the VHF menus for IF gain are
separate also
             could someone tell me what their 847 IF's are set for on each
band-
             there are some numbers and some alpha-numeric levels also....
             MEcker1447@aol.com

--part0_898495979_boundary--