[Yaesu] FT-920 Production Bugs?

David Ho (de AF4BH) davidho@one.net
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 02:19:41 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Russian Internet Network wrote:

> At 08:13 AM 3/20/98 GMT, >Allan W. Schlaugat            Albertville, WI
> USA wrote:
> >I hope to purchase a FT-920 soon. I have heard comments from locals
> >who have the 920 experiencing problems with the radio. These are:
> >
> >>1. Not full 100 watts out on all bands.( about 90 to 100)
>
> Never have experienced anything like that, always measures right at 100w

Not a problem to me.  Mine is running 110 watts right out of the box.  I
don't know if it is the meter, just a few watts different won't bother me.

> >>2. Antenna tuner when tuned, there is less power out than out of the
> circuit.
>
> I have noticed this , but only on one band, 12 meters--I have emailed Yaesu
> about this, they have said a fix is being looked at. In any case, it drops
> to around 90-95w on 12m, is fine on the rest of the bands. It is a minor
> problem that I myself am not real concerned about--others, of course, may
> look at this differently.

I noticed that too.  But again, it's just a slight different.  I think
many other brands will do similar things too.  The main different is --
how much the loss is?

> >>3. The display comes up a bit dim and takes about 5 minutes to full.
> Never seen this either--I use an Astron SS-25 power suppy, have never had a
> problem like this.

Mine does that, too!  Just a very slight dimmer, but gets normal in a
minute or so.  It doesn't seem to be problem.  The display doesn't flicker
or do anything funky to bother my operation.  Just a little dimmer
initially when first power up.

> >>4. The audio on the digital voice recorder sucks.
> I have never had a 'you're audio sucks' report when using the DVR--although
> I will admit that the audio on the DVR & the rig in general sounds a lot
> better when using the mic eq presets 3 & 4. I use both a Heil headset with
> the HC-5 element & the Yaesu MD-100 desk mic, feedback is generally the
> same but the audiophiles out that have listened to me on the 920 generally
> prefer the sound of the MD-100. When using the DVR, although the record
> level is not adjustable, you CAN experiment with the sound by changing the
> 4 eq presets, or no eq at all.

It does present a little different when compare to real voice.  I don't
use often enough to get myself too concern about it.  I am using the
MD-100 and it seems to be quite sufficient, unless you need a very high
level of replication of your voice in your application.

> >Can anyone confirm whether these problems have been fixed in later
> >production runs of the FT-920? The hams who are experiencing these
> >problems purchased the radio in October 97 and can be verified in more
> >than one radio. The QST reviews made no mention of these problems
> >(with the exception of IMD products).
>
> My serial # is 7F020298.

Mine is 7J070189

I might be the one who is not critical about my rig.  But I tend to
forgive some of the not-so-perfect features.  Some will call them bugs.

Best 73!

de David Ho, AF4BH
Covington, KY  USA
E-Mail: davidho@one.net